comments attached to words or group of words

When I work on a document I find it useful to comment on my phrases. The comments are meant for me, and they should help me remember what I have to do with that phrase or those words. Usually correct them or replace them. Or rephrase the entire paragraph. Google Docs allows this and I find it useful.
This is a feature I miss in Scrivener.

I think you can do this with what Scrivener (in the current Windows version) calls “linked notations.” At any rate, that’s what I use when I want to accomplish something like this.

It’s done in the Inspector pane; to open this, click the blue circle with an “i” near the top right of the Scrivener window. There’s a lot going on there, but to learn this you can ignore everything that’s unfamiliar for now. To attach a comment to some text, select the text and do Format menu > Comment; or press Shift+F4; or click the small letter “n” in a bubble in the Inspector toolbar, then click + to start a comment. The comment will initially be populated with your Windows user name and the date and time; these are highlighted so you can just type to replace them if you want. The words in the text to which the comment is attached will be highlighted and have a box around them. If you just want to attach a comment to a single word, you can place the cursor immediately after that word and take any of the actions listed above to start a comment. You can actually start a comment without opening the Inspector: select text or place the cursor and do Format > Comment or Shift+F4, and the Inspector will open with a new comment started. For more info, see sec. 17.2, “Linked Notation,” in the Scrivener Manual.

There are other types of notation discussed in Manual sec. 17, and in sec. 18.4, “Document and Project Notes.” Hopefully you’ll find something that will work for you.

Thank you, David.
Indeed the ‘linked notations’ are exactly what I needed. I’ll have to read the manual to see what else I miss. :slight_smile:

I appreciate your help.
Thanks again.

Great, glad that that works for you! Scrivener has so many features and ways of doing things that it’s hard to try out, or even locate, all of them. My impression is that this is, among other things, part of Scrivener’s philosophy of letting users adapt the way the program works to their needs and habits, rather than the other way around. Even if you never use all the features, you’ll find the subset that fits your workflow.