Comments inline in compile, can't change back to margins

I’m working on my dissertation and somehow in the past month I’ve changed some setting (I assume) that now makes all my comments and footnotes show up in-line rather than in the margins/footer when I compile the entire project. It used to always show them in the margins but now it’s changed and I’ve tried everything I can think of to move them back but nothing is working, any ideas?

I’ve tried resetting my preferences to defaults, exported as both RTF and .doc, played with the different options in the compile window and looked at portions of the projects that I know exported with margin-comments previously, all to no avail - they all show up with square brackets in the main body of text.

Can anyone help me before I have to go and redo everything?

How inline annotations and linked comments are exported (or not, as the case may be) is set up in the Footnotes & Comments compile option pane. It sounds like you may have the “Export to RTF as” drop-down set to something other than “Margin comments”.

Thanks for the reply! I don’t see and ‘export to rtf as’ option in the Footer/Comments pane of my compile window. I can chose the file format (i.e. ‘Compile for’ drop-down allowing me to choose between ‘print’, and other options like .doc, .rtfd and .rtf) but nothing about exporting.

I’ve attached a screen cap of my compile window so you can see what I’m talking about.

That’s strange looking, the panel you have here is the one supplied to formats that do not support native footnotes and comments—yet you clearly have RTF selected as the format. Just a quick test, can you make a temporary project using the “Blank” starter, and just flip open Compile, set to RTF and see if the panel looks the same? If so, I would try downloading and reinstalling the software, it could be something is jammed up with the user interface.

I don’t know what I did with that project’s settings but it does work properly in new projects so I just opened a blank, dragged all my stuff into it and basically started a new project with the same content dropped in and IT WORKS! Thank you so much, it was driving me nuts because I knew it worked before. Would like to know what I did, if it was something I did, but with deadlines looming I’ll settle for a random fix :slight_smile:

Okay, that works! Be aware that if you used a lot of Scrivener Links, References and meta-data, you may be better off fixing the original project instead of dragging things over to a new one. If you suspect that might be a problem, I can give you some instructions on attempting repair of the compile settings. Otherwise, it sounds like you have deadline to hit. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads up. I don’t use most of that stuff (I’ve really only just scratched the surface of what scrivener can do) so I think I’ll be okay but I’ll come back here if I get stuck again, lol.

Thanks again, you saved me!

In the original project, check the “RTF Compatibility” pane in Compile. I bet “Flatten footnotes and comments into regular text” is selected, which would explain why you would be getting the different footnotes/comments pane and why comments would not appear in margins.