Compatibilty with Cloud Servers

It should be a given these days, that one would be able to upload a scrivener document to a cloud server, and not have to worry about it blowing up, and losing text and data. But no. Scrivener is toxic when it comes to cloud servers, doesn’t matter much which one you choose. I’ve lost months of work, because like Microsoft word, I thought I could upload my documents without worrying about this very thing. I don’t think that’s being unreasonable. It’s something most people do these days as a matter of securing especially long documents. So, it really behooves the scrivener programmers to come up with a patch to take care of this gaping flaw with the software. How about it, folks?

Have you looked for Scrivener’s automatic backups? They should be able to recover your data even after a complete failure of the cloud service.

To your larger point, a Scrivener project contains several subfolders and potentially hundreds of component files. Some services are known to be unable to manage uploads so that, for example, the update at 6:06 PM uploads before and is overwritten by the update at 6:10 PM. Connectivity failure is also a common cause of problems: if you close your computer and walk away from your WiFi connection while Scrivener is in mid-upload, there is no power on earth that will transfer the project to the cloud server.

The next major version of Scrivener will include some modifications to the project format to further improve robustness in the cloud. But there are no guarantees: ultimately protection of your data has always been and will always be your responsibility.

Katherine

Further thoughts on backups: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/got-a-backup/32512/1

Katherine

It’s unfair in the extreme to suggest Scrivener is toxic with cloud servers.

L&L is VERY up front on the requirements for use with cloud, namely Dropbox is currently the only cloud offering that can work reliably with Scrivener’s file structure. Using any other cloud system with Scrivener is a decision for the individual and one they must take total responsibility for.

I have used Scriver with Dropbox since that capability was first discussed, with only a couple of minor issues when after brain fart I disconnected a laptop from the network prior to completion of saves.

Despite my stupidity, in each case, I was able to quickly recover my files because of the auto backup feature. If that had failed, I would always have had access to my Time Machine backups (as Katherine points to above), which in my case give snapshots going back 2 years. Additionally, I also use CarbonCopy to have a bootable backup from time to time. You are a Windows user, so don’t have access to a simple, superb built in system like Time Machine, however, there are any number of great solutions, one of which should be one of the first programs installed and configured before doing any serious work on a new system. (Acronis True Image works well)

If I understand your post correctly, you’ve also had this issue with Word. I save Word (and Pages) docs to Dropbox and iCloud without issue, with the exceptions of course, if the internet goes flunky, or I disconnect brain and disconnect before save.

So, sorry Atrius5000, no gaping flaw in Scrivener, just issues in almost all cloud services. Sign up for Dropbox, follow the simple rules and 99.99% of the time all will be sweet. In the rare cases of user stupidity, or internet issue, auto backup will almost certainly pull your a… from the flames.

Can I also point out that I am using Sync—https://www.sync.com—to work with collaborators in China, the most important of whom is Windows based. Again, if the basic guidelines of waiting until it has fully uploaded/downloaded before closing down the computer or opening a project are followed, Sync works as well as Dropbox—while she is working on the project, I get the notifications on my Mac every time the contents of the Sync folder are changed as Scrivener saves automatically.

As for Dropbox, it is only Dropbox that provide the necessary iOS API to allow Scrivener to work on the highly sandboxed iPads and iPhones.

Mark
Not a member of Lit&Lat.