Compile and Scenes?

I am writing a book for Kindle. I chose the “novel” format. Can anyone tell me why there should be a “scene” underneath each chapter? What is the scene for exactly? Is it just the actual content of each chapter?

Also am I understanding this right, in that I must untick everything in my planning from the compile box? ie.only the work I actually want in the book should be ticked in compile?

I would have thought that a book template would have come with a foreward, dedication page, table of contents etc too.

I hope I don’t make a nuisance of myself on here, because all is far from clear to me, and even after reading a lot of the pdf file, I am not much better off.

Thanks in advance.

Reading the entire manual is a bit overkill. Look at the Quickstart chapter; that should enlighten you on a number of subjects. Also, there are video tutorials which feature the compile setting, which may give you an idea of how the organization of the binder can impact the final output. Finally, under Help (or as a choice in the project template window), there is the Interactive Tutorial, which creates a project that you read through and manipulate as it instructs, so that you can better learn what scrivener provides.

As for your chapters: If you plan to have one file per chapter (and not break it down further), then the Scene files are where you can put your text. The folders will trigger Scrivener to put “CHAPTER ONE” before any of it’s contents, automatically incrementing the number for each folder in your main Manuscript folder. By default the settings will include the name of the folder after the “CHAPTER ONE” heading,. If you have multiple scenes in each chapter, you can split it up that way, and then Scrivener will put some vertical space between the end of one scene and the beginning of the next.

Foreword, title page, and the like are all things you can add, though you will have to tweak the compile settings when you are ready to “print” it (or create a document out of it for reading), so that it doesn’t treat each of those documents like a chapter.

You don’t have to manipulate the “include in compile” checkbox if the document is not in your Manuscript folder. Only files in that folder end up in your output.

Take a tour through the videos (which will open when you select Video Tutorials from the Help menu) and the Interactive Tutorial, and you should have a better understanding of the basics. Feel free to come back to ask any question you like. We’ve all been new to Scrivener at one point.

It’s also good idea to read the help file at the top of new projects you’ve created, using a template. It’s the file at the very top of the binder in all cases. This will describe basic usage and tips for using it and changing how it works. For example, an excerpt from the novel template:

Now, if you write shorter chapters, or just don’t want to manage the narrative at a finer degree like that, you are free to just use files in a flat list and dispense with the whole folder/text example (the template compile settings are set up to accommodate this working style already, so you don’t even have to adjust anything). There isn’t a “right” way to use the software in this sense, and in fact this aspect of it is deliberately quite flexible, since we all have different preferences. One person might just want an easy to use 30 files in the Draft folder, one for each chapter. Another might need a thousand items arranged into a complex hierarchy that goes six or seven levels deep. Some people have no idea about chapters when they are starting a new book, and just make little files to hold snippets as they are written, gradually organising them and shaping them into a more formal structure as they go. The Quick Tour section in the manual demonstrates some of this flexibility, by showing how you can outline one way, then allow it to alter its shape as you work, in reflection of how you work.

Thanks so much to both of you. Your advice has helped tremendously. :slight_smile: