Compile As-Is With Titles?

Folks, I’m loving Scrivener. In the last week, I finished two more books and put them up on Kindle. So thanks for a great program.

Question: Can you compile documents from a Collection “as-is” and still get the title to print using the formatting pane? My output is Kindle Mobi. So fare I have not figured it out, and it may not be possible.

My formatting needs are simple as I use 12-point Times New Roman as the body text, with 12-point Times New Roman Bolded for any subheads in the text. I could add document titles by hand to each page, say 16-point Times New Roman Bolded. But later when I have 200 documents or more, I want to control the titles a little easier.

Are you just looking for a way to switch format override off? That isn’t specifically what “As-Is” is meant to accomplish, it’s a much broader tool than that. If you just don’t want the compiler changing your fonts then turn off “Override main text and notes formatting” at the top of the Formatting compile option pane. You will note that even with that off you can still add and format titles. Text formatting and title generation are mutually exclusive.

I unchecked the Override and it worked like a charm. I thought I had tested that one! Thanks for the help.

One last question, is there anywhere on Scrivener for Windows to indicate “book begins after front matter?” When I look at the mobi on KindlePreviewer, the Contents lists the Front Matter.

No that feature isn’t on Windows yet. I usually recommend people take a look at Sigil for fixing up an e-book after it has been compiled. This works with ePub, so when you’re done customising the table of contents and so on, you just open the ePub in Kindle Previewer and it will create a Mobi for you.

Thanks Amber, I have Sigil. I’ll give it a go.

Just a follow up in case someone reads this thread later.

Sigil is no longer being supported. Another developer may take it over, but I used Calibre instead. I’ve used it for years to convert epubs, but I didn’t realize it had an editor.

Open your epub in Calibre, and click Edit Book from the main menu. Move the Contents HTML file to where you want by dragging the file up or down. Then edit the Contents file itself to take out the front matter (epubs are basically HTML). Save the epub after you make these changes, then go back to the main menu and click Convert Books. Convert it to mobi. Upload the mobi file to Amazon or preview in the KindlePreviewer.

EDIT: Actually, Sigil will do the same thing, I just know Calibre and didn’t want to use Sigil if it is not going to be updated (it still works fine and it is free). This video explains how to use Scrivener with Sigil, and I used the same procedure in Calbre:

youtube.com/watch?v=tAe07DRwdi8

Sigil has always been open source, so I don’t know how much support it has provided in the past, beyond the board provided by MobileReads. Even if everyone in the community that has contributed to it stops doing so, it should still be fine for a good while. I did have a look at Calibre’s editing features a week or so ago. I didn’t dig too deeply into it, but it looks like it will be a good alternative.

One thing worth mentioning, as I don’t think you brought it up, but you also probably want to edit the software ToC that most e-readers use for their navigation menus and chapter nav gestures. I’m not sure how to do this is Calibre, but in Sigil the built-in ToC can be edited from the Tools menu.

Another thing specific to Calibre: it’s best to use KindleGen to produce the book no matter, rather than Calibre’s converters (KindleGen will open and convert ePub files directly—or Kindle Previewer will as well but with a GUI). Last I checked Calibre still doesn’t produce the double-book version that Amazon prefers, with both the legacy MobiPocket version of the book as well as the new KF8 version. With Calibre you can produce a KF8 file or a Mobi, not the two together. It’s not a huge deal to just make a Mobi, but if you want it to look as good as possible on the Paperwhite and Fire models (and eventually everything), you should have a KF8 half in the file.