Compile as outline?

I am in the planning stage of my senior thesis, and need to submit an outline for approval. Is there any way that I can write my outline in Scrivener and then compile it into a Word document? I’m not seeing any obvious way to do that off hand.

Thanks!

If you need a document for the outline (as opposed to just a PDF or print-out), the best way will be to use the compiler. We have some presets that may be useful to you for this. Check out the “Enumerated Outline” preset from the “Format As” drop-down. This will print an indented and hierarchically numbered list using just the names of items from your Draft outline.

If you just need something to hand in on paper, it would probably be easiest to just click on the Draft folder, switch to Outliner view, and then print. Options for that mode are located in the File/Page Setup... menu command. Just switch the tool to show Scrivener settings at the top, click the Options button, and you’ll see where you can set up outliner printing from there.

Looking at the options presented (Enumerated outline was here the whole time? AURGH! :slight_smile: ), it might just be easier for me to do the outline in OmniOutliner, since I need to have some annotations under the section headings.

Thanks, Amber!

Maybe so! Consider that OmniOutliner can export as OPML, which Scrivener can import into its own outline format. I know people that use OO as a starting point, and hear it works well.

But, if all you need is a little annotation along with the heading, Scrivener does have good support for this concept. The Synopsis feature is the best place for this kind of notation, and can be easily added to the compile output by visiting the Formatting compile option pane and checking off the “Synopsis” column. You can quickly toggle it on for everything by Opt-clicking in any of the checkboxes. Enumerated Outline has been set up to accommodate this output without any further customisation. Synopses will be indented to match their respective heading.

If you use Scrivener’s Outliner mode, you can work with titles and synopses together. You can simplify this down by removing columns you don’t want, giving you a very clean and powerful interface for outlining. I use this method myself when designing the layout for a new project. I used to use dedicated outliners like NeO and OmniOutliner as well, but it’s been a while since I’ve felt the need to do that since I’m comfortable with Scrivener’s approach, and like how I can just seamlessly transition into developing this outline into a written piece.

Well, will you look at that! Scrivener is always a pleasure to use, and it’s a proverbial Swiss Army Knife, with all of the features that are available. I hadn’t even touched the outliner before, but this might be the fix! :exclamation:

Again, my thanks!

Found the perfect answer: Compile as: Synopsis and Titles

You are a saint!