Compile Bug?

I just tried to compile a project to pdf on the original ipad mini.

In my drafts directory, there are three folders. The compile for some reason compiles only the scrivenings in the first folder and then shows the titles of the second and third folders but not their contents, even though I have not selected the option ‘compile current group only’ or any other option that could be causing it on the ios compile menu, as far as I can see. Either there is another setting affecting it that I have not found, or it’s a bug. Or do the options selected for compile in Scrivener for Mac affect Scrivener for iOS somehow?

The second and third folder contain further folders, and only on the level below that are there actual texts, while the first of the three folders which compiles correctly contains a scrivening as well as folders containing further scrivenings. I’m not sure if my nesting structure is somehow contributing to the problem? Does Scrivener for ios somehow interpret the second and the third folder as being empty because they only contain further folders and not scrivenings?

I too have a project in which some of the texts are two levels deep and the middle level contains only folders. I had no problem compiling the entire project to PDF.

The only compile setting from Mac that could affect a text’s compilation on iOS is the “include in compile” flag. I suggest that you view one of the texts that didn’t compile, tap the “i” control to bring up the Inspector, and see if “include in compile” is set to ON. If it isn’t, that’s the problem and you’ll need to turn on that flag for all the texts you want to include.

If the flag is already on, then I’m out of ideas :frowning: and someone else or one of the nice tech support folks from L&L will need to weigh in here. :slight_smile:

Which Compile “Appearance” are you using? Could you please post a screenshot of your Draft folder with everything inside it expanded so that we can see the organisation of the folders?

So it was the compile flag on the Mac that caused it. It didn’t help when I just changed the compile setting on the mac to include all (from compile included documents), but when I manually ticked all documents on the mac, the subsequent compile on the ipad mini also included everything.

But surely, I shouldn’t have to change things on the Mac in order to do a full compile on the Mac mini? That would make going away with the ipad mini only completely impractical, say if I’d done a partial compile before on the Mac to email someone part of a project, then finished the document on the ipad mini during a research trip and wanted to send someone the whole document from the ipad - I should be able to do that, I assume?

Is this a bug or a feature?

As I compile relatively often during the writing process, no two compiles are necessarily the same for me, but if the compile settings can’t be adjusted in detail on the ipad mini, the very least I’d need for it to be practical to use is the choice between ‘compile based on the detailed settings on the mac’ and ‘compile all’.

As to the other questions:

I was using Default appearance.

I’ve taken a screenshot, but I’ve realised that I can’t remotely get the entire structure of the binder to appear on the screen at the same time - in fact, it doesn’t even completely show all the scrivenings that are in the first of the three folders I mentioned above. I work with very small scrivenings, nested seven levels deep at least. I use both folders that contain scrivenings, and scrivenings that have sub-scrivenings. (It’s academic writing, which is why working with lots of levels makes sense to me). I think I’ve got about 130 scrivenings, some of which contain a few hundred words and some that contain only the title and a couple of keywords, in a 10,000 word document. Add that to the fact that I’m working on an 11 inch MBA and getting the entire structure to show is a problem.

But given that the problem seems to relate to the compile flag on the Mac, I’m not sure how important the screenshot is, anyway? If you do want to see the structure, I’m happy to email you the project file, though obviously, I don’t want to post it here publicly.

Glad you got it figured out. You could equally have turned them back on in the iOS version, though - on iOS, you need to open the inspector and check “Include in Compile” there.

All the best,
Keith

So that’s where it lives on iOS. Thank you, I’m relieved it’s there and I just missed it (and I feel very silly, but never mind, the main thing is it’s there). I just always do this under File - Compile on the Mac and absolutely never in the inspector (though I do use the inspector extensively for synopses, status, labels and so forth - but that’s a different ‘mindset’ in my workflow from compile, and I had in fact completely forgotten you could set the compile flag there). So, it didn’t occur to me to look for it in the inspector on iOS, I just kept hunting for it in the compile settings and the application settings. Also, the fact that under compile there’s the ‘compile only this group’ option made me think that this was where I set the content of what was being compiled on iOS - and that the options were a bit sparse… But obviously, that was a misunderstanding on my part.

So is it correct that there’s no easy ‘compile all’ override of the flag on iOS, or have I somehow managed to miss that, too?
If it’s not there, would it be possible to eventually implement it?

I hit the issue today when I was trying to do a quick compile of everything into a pdf to read through in goodreader - I find it sometimes helps to get a bird’s eye view of the entire document in a slightly different looking layout. With the ipad being great for just this sort of thing, it would be fantastic to be able to do a quick ‘compile all’ without having to mess with the individual compile flags.

It would be great if you could consider it, if it’s not already hidden away somewhere. :slight_smile:

Hi, Georgia. No, There’s no easy way to override the compile flag for lots of files. Keith will have to answer the question on whether it could happen in future – I don’t work for L&L, just a user like yourself.

OTOH, if you’re using an iPad, there is a pretty fast way to change the compile flag on lots of contiguous files. Go ahead and view the Inspector for a file whose flag you want to change. Change it as you prefer, and then tap the Next File button in the top toolbar to see the next file’s Inspector without having to go back to the Binder.