Compile Codes usable inside Inspector for Outline Output

This may or may not be a good idea, especially since the goal, at least the first goal idea I had, already has a very pleasant third party application solution. The idea is to create a semi-timeline view within Scrivener.

The idea is, each scene is given Meta-Data called “Timeline”, with the inputs of a consistent date. For instance Scene has Meta-Data “Timeline” or “TL”, with a value of “Year/Month/Date @ time” or as example, “2042/11/26 @ 15:33h”, which when viewed in Outline, can be sorted correctly, to give the Chronological Order or “CO” (Ascending/Descending). This is all possible now, so that’s good. At least for Mac, Windows still needs to be able to sort Outline views (crossing fingers).

The idea is to also add a Meta-Data called “Order of Appearance” or “OoA”, and be able to put auto numbering compile codes in it, that do nothing but look like a code in this space. Until it is viewed in Outline View. Once Sorting by Timeline Descending, next to it would be Order of Appearance, with the corresponding Order of Appearance number, that the compile code automatically assigned. or Vice Versa. Either way, it would make it easier to eyeball the information, to see if anything is out of place in the timeline. It’s at least a way to do the bare minimum to allow a Timeline view of sorts, within Scrivener with a comparison of values, to know if Human Error needs fixing.

Although not quite as flexible as the system you describe, the ability to simply number items within a corkboard or outline view and have that dynamically assigned number “pinned” to the item for the purposes of viewing the items together in different orders (be that sorting by a column or using the freeform corkboard mode), is something that will be coming to both platforms in the future. And by the way another thing will be real date fields, so you can format the date as you please and still get a logical sort out of it.

Hi AmberV, thanks for your reply!

So if I understand correctly, sometime down the line in an undated update (I know not to ask when :wink:) Scrivener will have a real date field that can be used in Outline and/or Coarkboard, for sorting purposes, that is entirely separate from Meta-Data, more of a Native Value default Real Date field than User generated Meta-Data? And I’ll be able to choose how the date looks? Example: May 17th, 2016 or May 17th, 2016, Tuesday (varients occur for choosing). If so, way cool, one less thing cluttering Manage Meta-Data. And very useful in and of itself.

As well, if I understand correctly. I can assign a Numerical value to a Scene/Card, manually, that would let me in essence pin and group files together? Then after manually numbering and grouping Scenes/Cards together, I can sort ascending/descending in Outline View with all 1’s grouped, through all 250’s grouped together. And using those same numerical values, switch to Coarkboard View, and either free form view cards, or see them as they exist in the binder, or this new upcoming method, View by Groupings/Pins, 1 through 250 etc? Even better! Using numbers for this Pin/Groupings field, allows for sequential ordering, of groups of like files. Where as assigning a Tag would just group them by TagTitle, alphanumerically.

But yeah, manually, not as flexible as I described, BUT, it’s a step in a promising direction and has a flexibility of it’s own. And since this is a Wishlist, I can wish for both varients, of what you already have planned for a down the road update, and what I originally wish listed, for autonomous numbering using compile codes for Outline View. I can see that Different scenarios of need, require different options for use.

I mean to say that custom meta-data will be more varied than it currently is, and a date type will be one of its varieties. So no, this won’t de-clutter custom meta-data, it is custom meta-data.

You can already manually number items with a custom meta-data field (well, sans the sorting for the moment). What I was referring to was having the software number items for you, so if you click on a folder with eight subsections, they would be numbered 1 thru 8. If you then sorted the list by something that disturbs their original order, the number would remain assigned to the item, representing its actual underlying order (hence “pinned”). Thus you could see that scene 5 sorts above scene 2 in terms of chronology. This is numbering however, that number isn’t literally assigned to the item for all time no matter what. If you Cmd-click[size=80][1][/size] on that file and then another above it, it will go from being “5” to “2” because now it is the second item in a “multiple selection” of two items.

[size=80]1. On review: my Mac bias is showing. :slight_smile: Ctrl-click to select two items into the view!
[/size]

Okay, I understand that point now. It’s still custom meta-data. It’s just that the data of the meta-data is broadening to allow “types” of data. For example, would the meta-data have a controlled set of properties that can be assigned, like, Date, would include date syntax (and it’s varied outputs). As akin to how spreadsheets are capable of assigning a Column or a Row, a set of properties based on Date, Numbers, Dollars etc. for a semi format of display of information? Only this will be applied to the Meta-Data Field in Scrivener?

So, it will sort of keep it’s hierarchical order based on the numbering. The Groupings with Subsections, akin to Sticking or Gluing these elements (of scenes) together. So that, no matter how they will be sorted, they will remain together, as apposed to being Chronologically Ordered, say…

This is the Order of Appearance of 4 Scenes, as we See, one scene (the 3rd) is a glimpse of School Starting, then continuing progress through Summer vacation.

Scene 1 Meta-Data “Date” (July 5th, 2012)
Scene 2 Meta-Data “Date” (July 22nd, 2012)
Scene 3 Meta-Data “Date” (Sept 06th, 2012)
Scene 4 Meta-Data “Date” (Aug 05th, 2012)

But if I sorted Chronologically now, they would be shown as Scene 1, 2, 4, 3. With this enhancement of future update, this original order would be preserved, of Scene, 1, 2, 3, 4, because these four “elements”, or is that five? (if these scenes are in a Folder, hence subsections of the Parent element, the “Chapter 1” container as an example) were Stuck, or “Pinned” together.

And then “Chapter 2” container folder, would have Scenes 5 through 11, say Order of Appearance (or selection) continues chronologically up until and after Scene 3’s Date, say Sept 9th. A few days into school. But if I selected “Chapter 1” and “Chapter 2”, which selects their subsection Scenes, Chapter 1 (Scenes 1-4) would always come before Chapter 2 (Scenes 5-11), no matter the sorted criteria? So if I sorted Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 Chronologically, That Scene 3 would be preserved in that spot, still under Chapter 1? As opposed to say, being shown between Scene 9 and 10? as it would be now, if sorted Chronologically.

This numbering is not absolute, its like floating numbers. Or numbering on the fly per the situation warrants? This may be something I can understand once I’ve played with it. So with that said, I look forward to these features.

Yes, that’s more like it. Hopefully we’ll even be able to get a little date picker in there as well as being able to type in a date string manually—depends on what tools we have available.

This is all extremely simple. If you take five apples and use a dry erase marker to number them from 1 – 5, then shuffle the apples, the numbers will still identify which order they were in before shuffling them. That’s about it (so long as we stay within the one view, if we put the apples in another barrel with other apples they will inevitably have different numbers assigned to them). There is no clustering or pinning or whatever. It is mainly just a feature to help you get your bearings in a list of items—for those that work better with numbers than strictly titles, and a way for these numbers to be semi-permanent within the view so that you can use various features to view these items in a nonlinear fashion (freeform corkboard, outliner sorting—and some other things we haven’t revealed yet :wink: ) while still having an understanding of their original order.