Compile Comments and Footnotes

Dear all,

I’m a PhD researcher, developing my thesis on Scrivener. I’m also a new user.

I need to print the main text of my thesis with two characteristics:
(i) Must have all the Footnotes on the bottom of the same page it was written.
(ii) Must have all Comments in some clear identifiable manner - a “box” for instance.

Those are supervisor’s requirements! :wink:

What should I do? How to configure the compilation?

Thanks for the help in advance. Cheers,

Aldo

Hi Aldo,

You will need to choose RTF format, and under “Footnotes/Comments”, ensure “Remove inspector comments” and “Remove inline annotations” are un-ticked, and that “Export inspector footnotes as endnotes” and “Export inline footnotes and endnotes” are all un-ticked too. This will generate an RTF file to your requirements.

You can then open the RTF file in your word processor of choice - Word or Nisus, for instance (not Pages, though, which doesn’t support RTF very well) - check that it’s to your requirements, and send it to your supervisor directly or print it out from your word processor.

(It’s not possible to print end-of-page footnotes and boxed comments directly from Scrivener, because Scrivener isn’t a layout program, so you need a word processor for those things - Scrivener will set up everything for the word processor provided the word processor properly supports the RTF format though.)

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith,

The procedure works nicely.

However, those are suggestions for next versions of Scrivener – this is something quite helpful for academic writing.

Cheers,

Aldo

In version 3.0 or 4.0, perhaps. :slight_smile: Adding the ability to print footnotes at the end of each page, or comments in boxes, involves writing a full word processor-quality page layout engine, and the intention has always been to focus on Scrivener’s core features and let an external word processor handle more complex layout such as this. But maybe if we strike it rich and can afford a whole team of programmers…

All the best,
Keith

Keith,

I had no idea that it would be so complex. Thanks for the info…

Scrivener is great!

Cheers,

Aldo

Yes, there are loads of factors. For instance, working out the size the footnotes would take up, then taking into account whether the footnotes are so large that they would take up the whole page and if so trying to split them up, and if that happens trying to move all other subsequent footnotes onwards… And there’s also the problem that in the standard OS X text system, there’s no way of knowing which page the text will be on until it’s laid out… So presumably you would have to layout out some text, wait for a page to be filled, then find out the footnotes on that page, then work out how much space they need, then adjust the page to fit the footnotes on, then check to see if the new size of the page has pushed any text with footnotes associated it to the next page and if so adjust that… Argh, my head hurts just thinking about it. :slight_smile: It’s definitely something I’d love to have in Compile in the future, but it’s a big job.

Thanks for the kind words!

All the best,
Keith