Compile confusion

I am trying to figure out the Compile Formatting Section Type denotation and usage, without much luck. My work is a novel, simple formatting, with MANUSCRIPT and a set of files below.

See attached.

I can’t figure how the Levels map to the things in Binder. I need to be able to test every variation of

Chapter 1
Title of Chapter

Including numbers, words, etc.

No matter what I do I am unable to get the “Chapter 1” to show up when compiling as Paperback novel for PDF.

Any help much appreciated.

fbx

Your draft folder only contains Level 1 text files, nothing else, by the looks of it, so that’s all you need to touch in the “Formatting” pane. The new beta (available in the Beta Testing forum) highlights the documents in the binder that will be affected by the selected row in the Formatting pane to make this clearer.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks but no workee. I’m wondering if something else in the template is set in a way as to turn off the chapter and chapter number so it does not appear on the beginning page of a new text. I guess I could copy everything into a new blank Scrivener file, or a new file started with novel template? I have 50K words in this and not eager to risk any loss, though I have backed up and backed up, so prob safe.

I just don’t understand what Level 1 and Level 1+ and Level 2 mean, nor what they control exactly, and whether you have set each different level, etc etc. It’s confusing to me. I mean, if it said Chapter Head, Chapter Subheads, Chapter Titles, Chapter Subtitles, that might make more sense?

Probably my density obscuring the simple logic, but I’m just mystified.

As I said, if you download the latest beta, when you select a level in the “Formatting” pane, documents it affects get highlighted in the binder, so you will see immediately how it works and what the levels mean should become clearer. In short, though, all of your text documents are at level 1. The level is how deep it is inside the draft folder. So, all of your text documents are one deep inside the Draft folder - Level 1. Here is an example of some other levels:

Only if you are writing in chapters, but Scrivener doesn’t know that, since users can structure their work however they want. The “Formatting” pane is where you tell Scrivener how to treat each section.

The only thing I can think of is that you have ticked “Compile As-Is” for all your documents. “Compile As-Is” tells Scrivener to Compile that document exactly as it appears in the editor, without adding any titles or subtitles etc. So if you ticked that for all your documents, the Formatting pane would be left with nothing to do.

Thanks again. Meantime I’ve moved to a fresh setup with novel template and have been able to get what I was looking for, partly, by that mechanism. I appreciate the instruction on levels and also the video tutorials on the web site, which I have been watching with instructive results.

Here’s a new question: I had increased the line spacing in the editor (from the format bar) in order to see my text in 1.5 line spacing when entering text. But it seems that also controls output (compile) text in at least some of the formats. Is there some simple way to control the compiled text line spacing etc. regardless of how it’s set in the (composing) editor?

Finally, is the current beta safe to use on “real” projects? The book I’m working on is under contract and due relatively soon so I don’t want to risk losing all or any part thereof.

Thanks,

fb

The output all depends on what you have set up in the “Formatting” pane of Compile. If you want to set a different line spacing for the output, you will need to tick “Override text and notes formatting” and apply the line spacing, font etc that you want applied to the text using the preview text box. Although line spacing cannot be specifically applied separately to other formatting, if you click on “Options…” in the “Formatting” pane, you can limit what the override formatting gets applied to (for instance, you can tell it not to touch tabs and indents).

As for the beta, it is very much safe to use on real projects. At this stage, no fundamental, under-the-hood structural changes are being made to the code, so the betas are as stable as the releases; they are essentially pre-releases. There may always be bugs lurking in the latest additions (or even in old features), because that’s why we put out betas, but nothing that will lose you work or cause instability to the best of my knowledge (as in: I’m as sure as I can be, knowing the code, that these betas are as stable as the regular version, with the caveat that you can’t sue me if I’m wrong :slight_smile: ).

All the best,
Keith

Screen Shot 2013-07-10 at 8.03.01 PM.png
Thanks for your help and for the program, which I find very friendly (although sometimes confusing for a newcomer). I have spent all afternoon trying to compile my MSS as an e-book with chapters as above. While I was able to do this the other day, I cannot now get it done with the current version of the MSS, which has the same setup in Scrivener as shown previously. To wit:
Screen Shot 2013-07-10 at 8.05.52 PM.png

Can you give me a tip as to where I might have lost the thread?

Thx, as ever.

fb

Screen Shot 2013-07-10 at 8.22.58 PM.png
Further to the above, I can get to this:

But I cannot get the “Chapter 1” (or any variants), nor can I get the added page padding even though I input on the Formatting menu.

My formatting menu looks like this (I’ve tried with and without the “Override” ticked)
Screen Shot 2013-07-10 at 8.28.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-10 at 8.28.18 PM.png

Sorry to be a pain. I started over, first formatting for PDF as paperback novel, then transposed those settings to e-book, and it finally worked as it had previously. No clew as to what the difference might be.

Apologies for bothering you.

fb