Compile doesn't override Editor formatting

I’ve documented this in Evernote. Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see how.

evernote.com/l/Akq8wdxkylhJ … rlNUE7iUgI

1. It looks as though you have set up an “Epigraph” Section Type in the project and applied it to the “James Edward Kelly” document. Great.

2. You also have an “Epigraph” Section Layout in your Compile format.

But have you told Compile that the “Epigraph” Section Layout in the Compile format should be applied to the “Epigraph” Section Type of the project? You can do so using “Assign Section Layouts…” in Compile if not.

All the best,
Keith

According to this, yes indeed, I have.

I’ll add that to my Evernote … but wait, it was already there.

Argh, yes, that was even in your original screenshots - sorry about that, it’s been a long day.

I just realised the problem: text overrides won’t override centred text because it’s assumed that if you have centred text in the editor it is for a reason and that you want to keep it that way. Otherwise the overrides are a bit too brute.

So the best thing to do here is to use a style, because you can then override the style in Compile to be formatted how you want.

All the best,
Keith

How can I override a style, if overriding centered text doesn’t work? Couldn’t the style be centered?

Just apply a style to the block quote (e.g. Block Quote style) and in the “Styles” area of Compile, add the block quote style and override it. In Scrivener 3, you can completely change how styled text appears during Compile.

All the best,
Keith

Then … where centering is concerned, “no style” is the same as “preserve formatting”?

So just to be clear — with “No Style” text block with additional adhoc formatting (centering in this case, Word call this “Direct Formatting”), you cannot use a global compile override but can only add a specific style in the text and manual style overrides in compile?

This is a philosophical point, but my feeling is that this doesn’t follow the ideal that by default Scrivener text is “copy” that can easily be transformed on compile. Unlike Word, we have no way of easily visualising this hidden direct formatting. It makes it harder to do a quick compile transformation, as direct formatting takes precedent; weakening the separation of content and style that the compile philosophy embodies. Is this specific to text alignment, or applies to other properties of the text? I understand pragmatic reality should trump philosophical purity, as long as the rules governing this “cascade of styles” is clear. 8)

No, that’s not right at all. “No style” means exactly that - no style has been applied. It does not work like “Preserve Formatting”: it works the same as in Scrivener 2 with unstyled text.

When you choose to override formatting using a Section Layout, that overrides the formatting of any text with “No Style”.

However–centred text will be kept centred. Likewise if you right-align text but most of the other text is left-aligned, right-aligned text is maintained. That’s all. This way, we aren’t forcing users to use styles just to centre a line in the middle of some text or right-align a letter head, for instance. You can type some unstyled text, centre a line, and that line will still come out centred even if you override the text in Compile. But the rest of the text will use the alignment set in Compile.

There might be an argument for making this optional rather than standard behaviour, but I was trying to limit the number of already-significant options available when creating a Section Layout. But the assumption is that it would in general be quite rare to centre something in the editor that you do not want centred in all outputs. (Is there any reason this quote is centred in the editor, for instance?)

All the best,
Keith

OK, so text alignment is the only exception to the fact that compile can otherwise fully override all text formatting. I admit I am a philosophical purist for full, no holds barred, no sub-clauses, absolute separation of content and style. :smiling_imp:

I do know of colleagues who occasionally centre some text for IMO frivolous reasons without committing to a “proper” different style; and I grudgingly accept, perhaps, Scrivener should cater to a base broader than separationist fundamentalists like me… :laughing: But it is surprising behaviour to the otherwise solid mantra that you can fully change the look of a project at compile time.

Well, you can fully change the project formatting at Compile time. Scrivener is just intelligent about it. :wink:

I’m in the same camp as nontroppo, but I’ll deal with it.