Compile Draft: Times Roman used instead of Times

I just tried Scrivener and I love it. So I bought it. Thanks, Keith!

Anyway, the Compile Draft feature works very well, but I am having a font issue.

When I select the font to use in the Formatting tab of the Compile Draft Window, instead of giving me Times>Regular>12 as I have selected in the Show Fonts window, I get the following:

Times Roman, 12pt

When I compile the draft as an RTF file and open it in Word, the document is formatted in “Times-Roman” instead of “Times”.

This changes the look of the font somewhat, but more importantly, it changes the line spacing in my Word doc.

Is there something I can do to get Times to show up in my RTF output, as I am requesting? (I can’t find a font called “Times Roman” on my Mac…)

Thanks,
Richard

It should show up fine but lets check something real quick.

Go to Compile Manuscript>Formating Tab.

Go to one of the buttons to change a font and bring up the FONT SELECTION window. Now that the Font Selection window is open look in the far LEFT column and select ALL FONTS instead English or Favorites (which is probably highlighted) then scroll down and see if Times is now available above Times New Roman.

Go to APPLICATIONS - FONTBOOK and that is where you can set up family “sets” etc that the Font Selection window obtains its information from. YOu can also turn ON or OFF certain fonts etc. (Only do this when all applications are NOT running except the FINDER. :slight_smile:

On a side note.
Times Roman = Times
Times New Roman = Times New Roman
In almost every case. The “times” is actually Times Roman. The Microsoft “Times” is usually TIMES NEW ROMAN.

In many applications in the GUI the font menu is limited and the words TIMES NEW ROMAN is so long that it will not fit so some applications tend to just show the first word which would be

TIMES

when the actual font is

TIMES NEW ROMAN.

Microsoft has a tendency to ALTER kerning in certain fonts, alter some fonts all together, and many times installs their own “version” of a font or variation of a Font, i.e TImes New Roman…

Try selecting Times New Roman in compile manuscript.

Thanks, Wock. This does work. But when I do the following,

I do wind up with “Times Roman, 12pt” in the Set Font field in the Formatting Tab. And when I open the RTF file in BBEdit, it does in fact say “{\fonttbl\f0\froman\fcharset0 Times-Roman;}” on the second line.

When I change this to “Times” and save the RTF file, it imports into Word just as I would like it to.

So the issue is, why is Scrivener showing Times-Roman here?

When I look in Font Book, I only see Times and Times New Roman. And I don’t have any other font management software installed. So I am at a loss to figure out why Times Roman is showing up in Scrivener.

In any case, thanks for your help, Wock!

Richard

I think, in many systems, the non-bold, non-italic, non-slanted, absolutely plain version of the font is referred to as “Roman”. I suspect this is the original terminology used by printers that they are retaining, so “Times Roman” means the same as “Times Regular”.

“Times New Roman” is a totally different font, with different — as I seem to remember you mentioning — and less good font metrics. Microsoft used the name “Times New Roman” for their font as “Times” is copyright, just as they used “Arial” as “Helvetica” is copyright. As I understand it, the original “Times” was designed for the (London) Times newspaper and became the standard for newspapers; but at some point in the last century the Times changed it’s layout and had its font re-designed for the new layout/technology — perhaps when they started putting news on the front page, rather than “Hatches, matches and dispatches” etc. — and the new version of the font was called “Times New Roman” accordingly … the “Roman” still originally referring to the non-bold, non-italic face.

I wonder if the Roman/Regular distinction is in fact a British/American issue. But others may, very likely, have more expert knowledge than me.

Mark

Mark

At the risk of going overboard on this, :smiley: I did a bit more poking around and this seems to be a conflict between how Cocoa/Mac OS X uses the term “Times-Roman” and how Word uses it.

When I select some text in TextEdit and style it with Times>Regular, then copy it into Word, the text also shows up as “Times-Roman”, just as with Scrivener. When I paste the text into InDesign, it shows up as “Times” with a style of “Roman.”

The thing that bugs me a bit is that the Mac OS X Fonts window says “Regular”, but the actual styling is called out as “Times-Roman.” In any case, I have a simple workaround until I have the time to dig into this more deeply.

Thanks, Mark and Wock!