Compile English manuscript with embedded Chinese quotation

Hi experienced Scrivener users, I use Scrivener version 3.1.1 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and recently encounter a problem when I embed quotation of traditional Chinese characters in my English text. After I compile the manuscript to Word version 16.30, Chinese characters turn out to be gibberish/little squares/nonsensical symbols. Should I format the Chinese quotation with a specific font so they can survive the compilation? Thank you very much for any insight.

Please update to Scrivener 3.2.3.

If that doesn’t fix the problem, please try Compiling to RTF format and importing the resulting file into Word. This will help determine whether the problem lies in our Word format converter or elsewhere.

Since that version dropped in November 2018, there have been eight upgrades.

I go backwards and forwards with my Chinese collaborator with Chinese and English. She’s a Windows-user using Scrivener and Word, I’m a Mac-user using Scrivener and Nisus Writer Pro and occasionally Pages. We have no trouble with mixed Chinese and English.

It might be a font issue, but my immediate thought is it’s more likely to be an encoding issue for the Chinese. You need to make sure Word is using UTF-8 rather than the ancient GB2312 (I think – it’s so long since I encountered it!). Or else, that the source of your Chinese texts is using UTF-8.

Mark

It is also possible that the compile format you are using is set to override the font setting(s) of your text (and you are manually switching fonts for the Chinese passages rather than using a defined style).

You need to either turn the override off, or make sure the Chinese quotations are set using a defined style that determines the font.

Thank you so much for the suggestions, folk!
Kewms: It works. I can compile the manuscript to a .rtf file. The Chinese quotations survived. And I can open it in Word or TextEdit and save it as .docx, etc.
I will try other solutions you guys suggested. Updating…

gr: It looks like override is not on but this suggestion gives me thoughts.
Mark: UTF-8 makes lots of sense. I guess I need to make sure Scrivener (source text) be using UTF-8, right? How can I check it? Once it’s compiled to Word, no matter what encoding I choose, the gibberish remains the same.