Compile -> First Page -> Small Caps

When compiling, I would love to be able to ask for/specify Small Caps instead of Upper Case as an option for words starting a new section. This would be under Compile Options -> Formatting -> Options -> First Page, and put in a radio button for all upper case vs. small caps. Everything else would remain as-is.

The way to do it now is to do it manually and then compile everything as-is, which means I can’t really use compile to do anything fancy.

Thanks for your consideration!

Actually, the Preserve Formatting feature is designed precisely for this sort of problem, where you have exceptional cases of formatting that you wish for the compiler to not override, but not at the expensive of having to switch off override entirely, or mark whole sections with “As-Is”. Using Preserve Formatting, you could apply the Small Capitals typography setting to a font which supports it, and it would come through in the compiled version intact. Of course the secondary advantage of this technique is that the hand-crafted typographic version is going to nearly always be superior to Scrivener’s faked small capitals.

The supplied screenshot shows the difference between Adobe Garamond Pro’s small capital variant (with Preserve Formatting applied), and the same font with Scrivener’s [b]Format/Convert/To Small Caps[/b], which reduces the font size of minuscule letters and then sets everything to upper-case. It’s an okay approximation, but for publication you’ll probably prefer the top example for its design, made to match the minuscule letter weights and height:

Note that both [b]Format/Formatting/Preserve Formatting[/b] and the settings in the Typography panel (accessed via the gear menu in the Font palette) can be saved into a preset. Just saved the preset with character settings, with both font checkboxes enabled. Now you can apply both at once with a single menu command (and getting to the Typography palette is a bit of a hike anyway).

I’d rather have Scrivener do it, honestly, so that I don’t have to remember to, which is especially a pain when editing. But thanks for the alternative.

Your Christmas wish has been granted:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-2-x-update-betas-download-here/11262/1

Happy hols,
Keith

Very awesome, Keith – thank you! Now I’ll have to install the beta and redo how I compile things, as a whole new avenue of options are available to me…

rubs hands gleefully

Keith
I downloaded this version of Scrivener as well but when I tried to open it I got a message that esellerate had failed. I did all the things that one is supposed to do when that happens, including getting the esellerate machine ‘whatever’. All that happened then was I got a candy cane bar that never stopped.
I then downloaded the regular Scrivener (i.e. not a beta) and installed it and all went well.

Something may be wrong with the esellerate or licencing bit on this beta.

Don

This is a known problem that impacts some users depending upon the configuration of their computer. There are steps that are known to resolve the problem, posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21298&start=0#p142498

If that doesn’t work for you, let us know what went wrong in that thread, thanks!

I decided to just stay with the standard revision of Scrivener. When the beta becomes standard, then I will download it.

Thanks for the information anyway.

Don

Hi Don,

Just to let you know, this isn’t a problem with the beta - it is down to a problem on your computer that isn’t allowing the newer version of Scrivener to update the eSellerate engine to the latest version. You will have the same problem when you download the standard version once it is released, so it’s just a matter of whether you fix it now with the beta or later when you download the standard version and see the same error.

All the best,
Keith