Compile five docs only for iBook

I am almost half way through my book and I haven’t really started to even think about all the technical issues surrounding creating an ePub or other format for self pubbing.

I write in scenes, and I want to give about five scenes (5 docs inside the manuscript folder totalling ~7,500 words) to someone I have chosen to read them.

I watched the compile to eBook video but it was bamboozling. Also I don’t need chapter names, numbers, table of contents or other stuff like that.

Can someone give me a quick idea of what to do ? I am also worried that if I do this for the five docs will it change the formatting in those five docs ? freeze them or anything ? As I want to continue to edit them.

No worries! The compiler is capable of a lot of amazing things, and so most of the tutorials and even e-books and such that you will find out there are in relation to these more complex setups, as they require more explanation. Fortunately it also has a dirt simple mode of operation that anyone can use to get their work out of Scrivener in the format of their choosing, without any fuss. :slight_smile:

For what you need, I would just select the “Original” preset from the Format As drop-down menu at the top, Compile For ePub, and that should be just about all you need to do for a basic proofing copy, short of hitting the “Compile” button itself.

“Original” basically tells the compiler to do nothing special to your text. No override formatting, no chapter numbering, no headers at all as a matter of fact—it will just stitch all five of your files together and call it done.

One thing you might want to do is go into the Layout compile option pane and switch off “Generate HTML table of contents”. Ordinarily you want that for older e-readers (which is why it is on by default even Original), but in your case it would just get in the way since there is only one “section” to speak of. With that turned off, your reader will open the book to the first line of text in the first scene of the five.

Fortunately the entire design premise of the compiler is that it especially does not do that. Everything that the compile does, every little thing, will only impact the output. Even Replacements, which let you search and replace text out automatically whenever you compile (useful for name abbreviations and such), will never touch the source text.

The idea is, the compile settings are completely separate from the content. Thus you can make an e-book, and then a PDF later that day that looks totally different and not have to adjust anything other than the compile settings.
Or, like I say, you can just take the simple route and compile as original or using one of the basic presets that we supply (such as standard manuscript format), and then use a word processor or e-book editing tool to finish off the design.

AmberV … I know you’re not being negative at all … but I just wanted to say that they reason I posted was because all of the manual and tutorial stuff deals with compiling the whole document as a Book or eBook and I really don’t want to divert myself from writing to learn all of that just yet. There will be TOCs, headers, formatting, sections, chapters, covers etc. I do realise, and I WILL educate myself :laughing:

I will read your reply to me now and come back. I just wanted to say that.