Compile for Kindle and include embedded fonts

I’ve got Scrivener compiling nicely for Kindle now - well, to ePub anyway - but I’ve been having some difficulties understanding (1) how to use KindleGen; and (2) how to embed fonts.

When I try exporting via KindleGen (to .mobi), I get this error:

'Kindle document creation failed.

‘2013-02-09 14:04:46.138 Scrivener[6849:203] *** NSTask: Task create for path ‘/Applications/KindleGen/kindlegen’ failed: 22, “Invalid argument”. Terminating temporary process.’

When I try exporting to ePub all seems to go well; however when I open the resultant file in ‘Kindle Previewer’, my embedded fonts are not there.

I’d really really like to avoid having to build a CSS to include fonts. I’d really really appreciate suggestions on what to do here.

I’m not aware of any way to make a Kindle display fonts other than the ones it has available to the reader as a preference, short of hacking the Kindle device itself.

As for the KindleGen error, it’s much easier to tell what is going on if you turn on the logging function. That checkbox is in the KindleGen compile option pane. The error you pasted is not something I’m familiar with, but the error itself is rather generic.

It is indeed possible to embed fonts, but IMHO it is a bad idea. First, you must own the rights to those fonts. Second, the older KIndles can only display Caecilia and Courier font face. Third, you are apt to annoy Kindle owners (primarily the Fire and her sisters) who have settled upon a specific font as most congenial to them. Why annoy the people who buy your books and write the reviews?

I think it is always best to go with the defaults. They are there for a reason.

The blog: notjohnkdp.blogspot.com/

The Paperwhite now has a similar font selection range as the Fire models, too now. So it’s easy to pick a favourite out of a collection of serif, sans and fixed-width. However I do think that embedding fonts is useful for finishing touches. While I completely agree that the body text should be left alone and up to the reader’s preference, chapter titles and other decorative elements can benefit from a hand-picked font. It’s probably something best left to a dedicated e-book editor though.