Compile: formatting captions

I’m still using Scrivener 1.x for Windows.

I don’t do a lot of compiling, but when I do, I manage to muddle through.

Currently, I’m working on something that has a lot of images. I have numbered the images manually in each section (chapter) rather than assign numbers programmatically, and I don’t mind searching for each example of “Fig.” and updating the text reference and the corresponding caption by hand each time I insert a new image,

What I do need some help with though is formatting image captions when I compile to PDF. Currently, the editor is set to display 12 point body text and 10 point text for captions, However, when I compile a chapter, both body text and captions are rendered in 12 point.

How can I apply markup to captions, or deploy some other kludge, to make the captions compile to 10 point?

PS: I will make the jump to version 3 at some point: but if compiling with different text size for body text and captions is painless after upgrading, I’ll happily upgrade now; if not, I’d be grateful to know how to tweak the captions to make them smaller than the body text when a chapter is compiled.

Use a style for captions or put them in separate text documents with a section layout formatted at 10pt.

Thanks for the tip.

I spent some time with [CTRL]+[F] this morning, cruising the manual for “style” and found that, after some experimentation, applying a style to the captions didn’t actually work,

(To complicate things a little, the captions have Fig. N. set in bold, while the text of the caption is not emboldened.)

However, selecting each caption and applying “Preserve Formatting” via the menu Format > Formatting > Preserve Formatting achieved the desired result. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a keyboard shortcut for “Preserve Formatting” so my mouse-hand had a bit more of a workout than it would have had were there a shortcut. .

Styles should work! Can you show the way you applied them and what resulted?

If the style is a paragraph style, you can bold parts of the caption. If it’s a paragraph+character style, it’s all bold or none of it bold.

[quote=“drmajorbob”
Styles should work! Can you show the way you applied them and what resulted?

If the style is a paragraph style, you can bold parts of the caption. If it’s a paragraph+character style, it’s all bold or none of it bold.[/quote]
Yes, but the OP says s/he is still using Scrivener 1,x, in which case there are no styles, only the “format painter” a.k.a. “Presets”.

:slight_smile:

Mark

Good point. I read too fast and skip things sometimes. Very annoying at my end and a waste of time for others, too. ;(