compile formatting probelm

true.jpgcost1.jpgThere is usually a simple solution but having exhausted most of the obvious ones, I need help. I’ve written a collection of poems. In the project format, I have centred the text and set the between line spaces at 12pts and a 2 times line height but when I compile the project, as an ebook, the between line space appears to reduce to nothing, leaving the text too tight and unreadable. What am I doing wrong?
In the attachments above, the first is the ‘compiled’ text, the second is the Scrivener project text, before compiling.

That’s the problem right there: you are using ePub for poetry. :wink: Seriously though, you do have rethink the notion of presenting text the way you want to present it, because e-books leave line-height, font choices, margins and often other details, to the person doing the reading. And hey, at least it is centre-aligned. You can’t even do that with Amazon’s e-books!

Ooookay, not sure if I’m being corrected or told off here but thank you for the guidance, whatever the tone. ePub is simply a format and its presentation as a document, on Scrivener, as I understand it, should be open to correction and/or adjustment.

It was merely meant to be a joke. With e-book publishing, you often do not have a lot of control over the presentation of text, and many publishing guidelines assume standard prose in how they are designed. Since poetry is often expressed in part by the presentation of the text, it makes the two a difficult combination for some things.

You could try adding line-heights to the text after compiling, with a tool like Sigil. Just know that it can make things messy on some models of readers. It may also be ignored. I’ve heard of books being rejected for having them, from some vendors, so check with who you intend to distribute with.

Another solution might be to dodge the problem a bit: put an empty line between the lines, but I feel that might be too much space.

thank you, Amber. I have tried every which way to introduce the line spacing I want, before and after compiling but all to no avail. Ironically, it does work with iBook Author and I can see no logical reason why it shouldn’t work with Scrivener; but it won’t.

Scrivener will strip line-height settings out of the text, given the problems I’ve already described, with declaring them. That is why I mentioned that the only solution would be to add them after compilation in an ePub editor. You mentioned trying that, but not getting a good result—what method did you try? Also what reader are you testing with, some will completely ignore line-height settings, so maybe your proofing environment doesn’t display the CSS you want. I had no troubles doing this myself, I tested the theory prior to relaying it to you. If I add p {line-height: 1.5em} I get increased line-height in the display (for those readers that honour it).

As for iBooks Author, what you’ll find or not find in it does not translate well to the rest of the e-publishing world, since it is just a tool for making iBookstore products. Since Apple has absolute control over both the development tools and the end-user display tools, they can do stuff that isn’t otherwise advisable (or even valid, since they aren’t claiming .iba = .epub even though it is technically very similar) when you are creating books that will potentially be read on everything from four year old Nooks to Blackberries to modern tablets and phones. So, that’s the logical reason—it’s best to think of IBA as the same format entirely.

I mentioned iBook author ironically, as I’m well aware of its limitations. Funnily, a pdf version of my poems, compiled with Scrivener, does recognize the preferred format. I’ll have a go at the epub editor suggestion but it’s seem just a tad elaborate when Scrivener is the product I bought to get around these very problems.

Ah, it seems our senses of humour are whirring right past each other. :laughing:

I’d say Scrivener is pretty good for getting an e-book to a presentable state, assuming it’s a fairly standard prose book with ordinary sub-divisions. You can press it to do other stuff as well, but if we made it address all of the possible ways one can make e-books, all of the different formatting requirements people want, the compiler would just get really complicated to use. There are too many little things like this that some people need that others don’t, etc. So in keeping with Scrivener’s mission of being primarily a writing environment, the e-book exports are meant to be either (a) good enough for what you’re doing or (b) a huge start on the total process of final formatting. Some people find it better to use OpenOffice or even InDesign to actually make the ePub, after compiling the formatted text out of Scrivener. It all depends on the amount of control you need, and whether you have the inclination toward a more technical tool like Sigil.