Compile Hierchical Numbering Question

I want to set up headings on compile to number in a certain way. I want the first level heading to be un-numbered, but to be “recognized” as the top level heading such that it serves to restart the hierarchical numbering scheme each time it occurs. The <$hn> tag seems like a fairly simply way to do hierarchical numbering. But of course the problem with it for what I want to do is that I want the first level in the binder to be unumbered, and the second level to be numbered as the first level in a hierarchical numbering scheme. If I used the <$hn> tag, the second level in the binder would be numbered as the second level in the hierarchical numbering scheme.

So what I want is this:

TITLE
TITLE
1   Title
1   Title
TITLE
1   Title
     1.1   Title
     1.2    Title
             1.2.1   Title
             1.2.2   Title
     1.3   Title
2   Title
TITLE

And so on. I don’t think what I want is too difficult. I just can’t quite figure out how to do it. So how can I?

Thanks for any help.

I put a code block around your example so that the spaces you entered are maintained. I still am having a hard time visualising what it is you are going for here. It looks like you sometimes want two sections to have the same number. I see two “1 Title” items beside each other and then a third below an un-numbered title?

Oops. That’s a typo.

The second “1 Title” should be “2 Title.”

The caps TITLE just indicates the top level heading I want to be both unnumbered and, being the top level heading, to reset the numbering scheme.