COMPILE: How to get FOLDER NAME or DOCUMENT NAME in footer?

Hello,

Quick question: How can I create a footer in compile that includes individual FOLDER NAMES or DOCUMENT (CHAPTER) NAMES? I imagine there is a “token” like the ones used for page numbers and dates.

Thanks!

Hi,

There’s no way of doing this, I’m afraid - the headers and footers don’t know anything about the content of the text once it’s compiled. If you need chapter names or suchlike in the headers, that’s the sort of thing you need to tweak in a dedicated word processor.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for the quick reply, Keith. Scrivener does so much so well that I can hardly complain about one little gimmick that I can’t get to work.

So, FYI: In a future version, it would be great if SECTION or FOLDER names could be put in the footers and/or headers so the compiled document has the equivalent of chapter names on each page.

Thanks again,

john

This does come up occasionally and is on the list - it’s just non-trivial so would take a lot of work and time to implement properly.

Thanks,
Keith

Alternately, I don’t suppose there is any way to get the automatically-generated chapter numbers into the header, footer, or even the first page of text for the folder.

Or, alternately, alternately, to generate a table of contents of these same chapter numbers with their inclusive page numbers?

And as a final alternate, I don’t suppose there is a way to get the chapter numbers into the folder titles as seen in the Binder (which wouldn’t help with printing, but might with editing)?

There’s no way to add them to the headers for exactly the same reason.

You can generate a ToC with page numbers, though - see Edit > Copy Special > Copy Documents as ToC, and refer to the user manual on how to use this feature.

I’m not sure what you mean about chapter numbers in titles as they appear in the binder - binder titles can be included as-is in the Compile, or you can add chapter numbers post-hoc using the title prefix settings, as is done in the standard novel format template. Again, check out the user manual on Compile for more info.

All the best,
Keith