Compile into word issue

When I compile into Word I get the number 1. in front of every chapter. I originally wrote in Word and recently moved the manuscript over to Scrivener. Because of that, every chapter is already numbered. I want to keep my numbers and not delete them, but even if I do delete them, I still get a bunch of 1. Does anyone know why it’s happening or how to fix it? It does not do this when I compile into PDF.

Do you get the numbering if you compile to RTF and open the resulting document in Word?

How is the project structured? Is each chapter a separate document in the Binder, or is it a single file?

What version of Scrivener do you have? Are you using one of the built-in Compile Formats? If so, which one?

Katherine

Yes it still does that with the RTF. Each chapter is its own folder with a scene or so inside. It doesn’t matter if I use the Manuscript format or one of my own. Both do it. And it’s the newest version. I just got it a few days ago as a trial. I’ve used it before but its been years and I don’t remember having this issue before.

Are you, perhaps, using a compile format that has a number-generating placeholder in its title prefix?

Slàinte mhòr.

I’d recommend having a look at our upgrade guide for Scrivener 2 users, as the Compile function has been completely overhauled.
literatureandlatte.com/scri … date-guide

Katherine

I don’t think its that. I’ve tried to compile with completely fresh formats and it still does the same.

Thanks for the link, I’ll look into it and see if I can find the answer there.

Also check your Word AutoFormat settings. If you’re seeing the numbers in Word but not PDF, it’s possible that they’re being generated by Word, not Scrivener.

Katherine