Compile kindle mobi auto TOC don't want doc titles

In Compile for Kindle MOBI file I’m generating a Table of Contents HTML using the present However, I get random document (scene) file names in the TOC and I only want the folder names in the TOC (The novella has four sections each with varying scenes).

This is what it looks like and I don’t want those numbers showing up (those are the document titles in the binder):

[bg. for reference: After thinking is was a document naming convention problem I laboriously untitled every document in each folder then got “Untitled” a bazillion time after each folder (my novella’s sections) names in the TOC. SO I renumbered all 30+ documents with numbers and some of them began to not show up in the TOC. But I’m still getting random document titles in the TOC. I don’t want the document titles, just the folders.

I’ve tried a lot of different configs, using the formatting pane ticking and unticking titles and text, “as-is” in for certain docs (which I need for certain things but even unticking those has no effect on the TOC.]

In projects I have using the Novel template I figured out to untick the Titles box on the document level in the Formatting pane. But in the Short Story template this doesn’t seem to work. I get the document titles anyway and random ones at that.

It took me hours on end to figure out how to get my novels to only show the “chapter” titles (folders in the binder) and not the document file names which were for my drafting and editing reference only and are scenes within each chapter—untick the Titles box on the document level in the Formatting pane.

I’ve spent almost as many hours trying to figure out how to do this in the short story template to no avail. Using process of elimination the problem seems like it’s a template issue.

Do I need to switch templates? If so how do I do that without losing anything in my Novella including my ebook front matter my meta-data and my cover?

The factor that determines if an item appears in the table of contents is whether or not it has a section break applied to it. Scrivener will use the “Page Break Before” checkbox to cut to a new section, and additionally there may be section breaks added by the Separators compile option pane.

It should also be noted that if you create a file called “Contents” and put it in your Binder then Scrivener will use that for the HTML contents instead of trying to automatically generate one (not every book is compatible with the automatic generator—but I think yours should be). A very easy way of doing that is selecting all of your folders in the Binder and use the File/Copy Special/Copy Documents as Scrivener Links menu command, then pasting into that file.

This file is referred to in the Layout compile option pane, so if you want it called something other than “Contents”, that is where you would change it.

Templates are just project starters. Once you create a new project with a template, it is a stand-alone thing. Meanwhile there is nothing that a template does that you cannot do yourself, or cobble together from five different templates using drag and drop between open Binders, or by sharing compile setting presets.

In short, no, there is no reason to switch templates. :slight_smile:

Amber,

Yeah it’s the “Page Break Before” in the Contents pane. The Separators pane seemed to have effect.

Unfortunately I have some sections that need a page break before (lots of time jumps in the narrative) and some that need to be in line separators (using the Custom * * * separator between docs).

Not sure how to resolve it other than a custom contents page.

Unfortunately when I’ve tried that with Kindle MOBI’s in the past Kindle itself doesn’t recognise the custom contents page (deletes it in the final published book) I had a disaster with that before—on the bright side, I did learn how to use the auto-update feature on Amazon as a result.

Maybe it’s a suggestion for a Scrivener update to give one more layer of customization so … wait.

Could I drag-n-drop the docs that need to be inline into the lead doc for that type of narrative formatting and then I can uncheck the Page Break Before boxes for those subdocs in the Contents pane?

Ugh. No dice, tried a variety of the subdocs configs. Still get a screwy TOC.

Plus, I can’t use the custom TOC (manually created) page with Kindle Direct (Amazon’s conversion system still strips the manually created TOC from the book)

Definitely something y’all should figure out for MOBI auto generated (HTML) TOC’s. We’re stuck with weird TOC’s to achieve the narrative structural formatting results. So frustrating. Looks amateurish. :blush:

There is no way to resolve it without precisely that. There are too many ways to make a book for Scrivener to address them all. Our system addresses the most common scenarios (where a section break means just that, and isn’t being used as a formatting tool—which has valid uses to be clear, but the way our system works doesn’t allow for that with the automated stuff).

One more layer of customisation would be getting into areas complicated enough that one might as well just learn how to do this themselves with the component files that make up a Mobi (you can export the source files by enabling the option in the KindleGen compile pane), or at the least, compile to ePub and use an editor (Calibre or Sigil) to modify the ToC using their tools to do so, then convert the ePub to Mobi by opening it in Kindle Previewer.

I haven’t heard of that before, having an HTML ToC is considered good practice as not all e-book readers (including older Kindles) have NCX navigation. And meanwhile there is no technical difference between a ToC you created by hand in Scrivener, and one that it creates automatically. So I’d double check that result. Either way you still need to edit the NCX ToC, so the above still stands.

I uploaded the book to KDP this morning with a custom TOC, Amazon’s conversion process mobi file to their mobi file stripped out the custom TOC. Had to unpublish the book recompile and settle for the amateurish looking TOC. It’s frustrating to me that this has not occured to anyone else (I simply do not believe it as this has happened every single time I’ve tried to use a custom TOC compiling to a MOBI file).

I find it hard to believe with all the customization available that you guys can’t simply add a way to designate which doc files that should get a section break and which ones should be overridden. It’s certainly not something that would be too complex. Could I learn to do this in Word? Sure. The hell I went through with my first two books drove me to Scrivener. Which worked sort of fine until I needed to creatively have a structure that was easiest for the reader between sections of a novella which has no chapters.

What I hear is an excuse not a solution. I need to write narrative structure that must be either one way or another and that’s just ridiculous. I cannot believe I am unique in wanting some doc files to flow with a customer separator so the narrative formatting is fluid and wanting some doc files to have a section break (page break before) to get a reader-friendly narrative end to a section turn the page to get to the next section.

I’m extremely frustrated having lost an entire day trying to get my book not to look like amateur hour, failing then to have support say, “tough.”

That is what the “Page Break Before” checkbox is for, and if one wants total control over the process, they can switch off all of the automatic ones in the Separators compile pane and just use those to designate when a new section begins, and a new entry in the ToC appears.

The problem is it sounds like you’re wanting the effects of a section break without a section break. I believe there may be a way of doing that using Mobi codes. If you type in mbp:pagebreak and select that, then set Format/Formatting/Preserve Formatting. There should be a blue dashed box around it. Now go into your HTML Options compile pane and set Treat “Preserve Formatting” blocks as raw HTML.

That should allow you to cut to a new screen without actually generating a new section. There may be a similar method for ePub if you need that.

I’m not sure what the deal is with a custom ToC, but if you can’t figure out a way with the above trick, to get it automatic, like I say you can just compile to ePub, load the thing, delete the lines out of the contents HTML page and convert that to Mobi with Kindle Previewer. It wouldn’t take but a few minutes once you’ve done in once or twice. I don’t quite understand the objection there.