Compile novel with chapters and sub-chapters

I have tried to get this straight for the last two years, actually, but to no avail. Now printing is looming on the horizon, and I need Scrivener to work for me on this subject, finally.

I have checked the tutorial and videos. I have done my job in the global settings, in project settings and I’m still pulling my hair trying to understand how to set the types in compilation mode.

The text is divided into 1st level folders with one sub-layer of text files. The folders might be looked upon as parts, but they are chapters. I set them to “Chapter heading”. A Chapter heading starts with a page break and does only show the title of the folder. The folders represent one day.

The text files are set to “Chapter”. A Chapter don’t start with page break, but I added a pageholder for numerals. (The Chapter headings are not numbered, but the Chapters are.) There are any number of text files in a Chapter heading folder (0-10).

What I want is for the title of the folders (Chapter heading) to show on a new page, as a start of each new day in the story, with the first sub-chapter/text file of that chapter/folder to start two lines below the folder title.

I have tested both using the placeholder parenttitle in the first sub-chapter, but have now reverted back into controlling this with the use of the actual folder and its name.

The effect should be something like this.

13 OF AUGUST : TO THE TOWER

1 The Runner

Text
Text
Text
(page break)
Text
Text

2 The Wall

Text
Text
(page break)
Text
(page break)

14 OF AUGUST : THE FARM

3 The Animals

Text
etc.

The problem is that I get page breaks in the middle of the text at odd intervals. Depending on settings in the Compile mode, they come and go, for no apparent reason. Sometimes there is no page break before a new Chapter/Folder, sometimes there is. Sometimes there is a page break before a sub-chapter, sometimes there isn’t, etc. After two years of dithering with this I haven’t found any system or pattern to the idiosyncracities.

Is there something apparent that I’m doing wrong, or should I simply forget about Scrivener?

As I got the expected and desired result in Scrivener 2 earlier in this project a couple of years ago, I started using that version again. That works without the least hickup with the exact same file that delivers page salad in Scrivener 3.

Compile was almost completely rewritten for Scrivener 3 and was the biggest hurdle when I upgraded. I suggest you take the time to work through the Upgrade Guide (https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener-3-update-guide.) It’s not something to do when you’re facing a deadline, though.