Compile/Print from Outline View

I did a search for Outline, and I didn’t see this requested, so I’m just putting this here…

Often times I wish that I could just compile or print straight from Outline view, turning the outline view itself into a separate document within the Scrivener document.

An example of what I mean: While doing a second draft of a project I’ve done in scrivener, I often find that the document notations are a more useful outline than the original one. My options at this point are usually copying/pasting every single document note (which, depending on the size of the document, can be quite a doozy), or making a screen shot and retyping it all from scratch.

Not needing to do that extra step would be very useful.

If you Ctrl-P from the Outliner view, you should get a simple output, does this not suffice?

I might not be understand what you mean, but there are two different approaches you could take that would dramatically reduce how much work you are doing:

1. Duplication: for your second draft, select the sections you wish to work on and use the Documents/Duplicate/ menu. Experiment with the two different options to see which works best for you. Duplication copies everything about an item, including all of its meta-data, notes and even snapshots.
  2. And speaking of those, Snapshots are the second approach to handling revisions in Scrivener. Click on the little antique camera icon in the Inspector to view the Snapshot tool, or simply hit Ctrl-5 at any time to take a snapshot of your text. The unique thing about this feature is that it freezes your main text, for that one section alone, as a “Snapshot” that you can always go back and refer to, copy and paste pieces out of using that preview pane, or even roll back the entire document to that revision if you really dislike where things have gone since then. All of this takes place in the original document, meaning the Notes and meta-data are all still there.

The latter option is going to be all-around the best approach the more you make use of Scrivener’s organisational features. For example, if you use Scrivener Links to form cross-references (either for yourself or for the output), then retaining the integrity of those links is important, to avoid having to reset them whenever you bump a section to a new revision. You want them to continue pointing to that one item if at all possible. Internal “References” (another Inspector pane) is another linking feature (you can drop a character sheet into the Reference sidebar for a scene in which this character appears, for example) which benefits from keeping the original section intact.

Whatever the case, you shouldn’t find yourself having to copy and paste dozens or hundreds of text fields around! If what I’m suggesting doesn’t quite address what you are doing, let me know, I might be able to think of another approach.