Compile Problems - TOC & (Occasional) Page Numbering

Hello,

Firstly thank you for an incredible piece of software. I have just finished a major writing project (9 months) and I’m certain that I have saved a lot of time because I used Scrivener.

  1. I am trying to compile my finished manuscript to .pdf, but cannot – despite some hours of trying - achieve my desired results for the Table of Contents.

Here is how the document is organised…

I want the Folder title to be the chapter title followed by the relevant page number.

However compiling produces this:

There are no chapter-related page numbers, as you can see, and the formatting isn’t what I want, either.

So, how do I successfully generate a table of contents?

I have read the relevant sections in the manual and in online articles, but I must be missing something.

  1. How do I include the title of a chapter in the header of the page? Is there a tag / Meta Data variable that contains the current chapter / folder title during the compile?

  2. Finally, when compiling I would like certain pages (e.g. title page) to not feature a page number, but the majority of the others to do so. How to I achieve this, please?

Many thanks for your help.

Sorry if these are RTFM questions. I have read the relevant sections (I think) but haven’t been able to implement any of the above successfully.

I have found the placeholder / tag so that I can auto-generate Chapter titles in the header…

<$sectiontitle> for those who’re searching for that, too.

Still can’t generate a functioning chapter list, though. Very frustrating!

Hello again,

I have managed to compile and edit my Table of Contents so that it is much closer to have I want.

I’m compiling for .pdf, how do I turn the chapter headings (and / or page numbers) into links that will take the reader to that particular page?

I’m assuming that that is possible with Scrivener, simply because its manual works in exactly that way.

I’ve tried Adding Links, but they’re stripped out whenever the manuscript is compiled (to .pdf).

Is there a way to do this?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thank you.

The formatting is up to you, just make it look nice in the editor and make sure the “Compile As-Is” checkbox (in the Inspector, or you can globally set these up in the Contents compile pane) is enabled (same goes for any section that is special like this and doesn’t contain body text—title page would be another good candidate). From your screenshot it looks like the document is getting a standard format applied to it that lacks the necessary tab stops used to format the ToC as it comes out of the “Copy Special” function.

As for page numbers not resolving, make sure the folders are printing their titles. In the Formatting pane, locate the folder icon and check off “Title” beside it.

Page numbering is all set up in the Page Settings compile pane. There are some checkboxes for disabling header/footer on single-page items as well as those pages following a page break (for cases where you don’t want the page number to print on a chapter title page). There is more control in the “First Pages” tab as well, but for most things, the “No header on first page and pages following page breaks” is going to work best.

Thank you AmberV.

That’s very useful!

Do you have any insight into whether it’s possible to compile a .pdf with active links in the TOC so that a reader can click on the link and go straight to that chapter?

I’ve read elsewhere that that currently needs a workaround (exporting as .rtf, opening in Word and then saving as a .pdf).

I don’t have Word, but if there isn’t a more intuitive method of doing this within Scrivener, I’ll have to find a copy.

Thank you.

Hmm, clickable internal hyperlinks should already be happening in fact, assuming everything is all linked up correctly (and you are using the “Publishing” option in the Print Settings compile pane. You should also be getting a sidebar ToC tree in PDF readers that have PDF navigation. Make sure you’re up to date with the latest Scrivener version (2.5).

You can control the appearance of internal links in the PDF Settings compile pane.

As for using Word, the free LibreOffice is usually just as good, without spending a bunch on Office. Nisus Writer and Mellel are also good (though non-free) options. But, like I say, there should be no need to use a word processor for this particular chore.

Hello Amber,

All sorted and working, now.

‘Underline internal links’ wasn’t checked in the .pdf Settings compile option.

As simple as that!

Thanks for you help,

Adam