Compile query: All indents are lost on Kindle for iPad

Hi there,

I have compiled my novel to a .mobi file.

When I open it on Kindle for Mac OS the indentations are preserved.

When I then transfer that very same file to Kindle for iPad (via the Send to Kindle app) all paragraph indentation is lost. I would like an indentation on all paragraphs except for the opening line which is exactly how I have been able to configure when viewing it on the Mac.

I am using Scrivener 3.

Any idea on what I need to set for the indentation to be visible regardless of device?

Thank you

I’ve found a solution.

By loading the .mobi file into Kindle Previewer 3 I was able to export as a .azk file.

I then had to tether my iPad to my Mac via USB and then within iTunes I could add the .azk file to the Kindle app directly.

Hopefully this helps anyone with the same problem.

Yup, the .mobi file that KindleGen creates is not suitable for iOS devices out of the box for some reason. Here is the original thread where this was discovered.

You should also be able to use AirDrop to transfer the AZK file in theory, so long as Kindle.app is programmed to open it. I haven’t tried it, before I just did as you did and dropped the file into the .app with file sharing.

I’m just discovering this issue as well as this is the first time I’m using Scriv 3. All my previous books were done in Scriv 2. Do we know if we submit the mobi file to Amazon for upload and then it gets purchased/downloaded from Amazon to an iPad or an iPhone if the correct indentations will show up in that file?

This query is about loading books onto your devices for proofing purposes, not publication.

For publication, Amazon recommends using ePub files. You only need to compile to Mobi if you intend to proof on a real Kindle (not a phone or computer), because despite the fact that you’re supposed to publish with ePub, Kindles can’t actually read ePub files. :laughing:

Really? I’ve been uploading mobi to Amazon for years. Wow. Learn something new every day I guess.

Yeah, this is a fairly recent development—past few months I’d say. In the latest version of Kindle Previewer 3, you’ll even get a warning if you try to load a .mobi file in it. They still accept them at KDP I believe, but it’s considered a deprecated workflow.