Compile results in blank page

When I try to compile a few sections (documents) of my draft, the result is a blank page. I’m not sure why this might possibly be. I had no problems yesterday. It doesn’t seem to matter which export format I select.

Some of the sections I would like to compile include footnotes, and I know those won’t be visible with pages or text edit, but the compiled document is just entirely blank. I can export these sections individually, but not using the compile function.

Some of the other documents in my draft will compile just fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I would try exporting the entire draft, rather than just sections of it, and see what the result looks like in a word processor. Do the blank sections actually take up space within the functional sections? If so, something might be going on with font settings. It is entirely possible for some documents to deviate from the normal compile settings, as they can be toggled to “preserve format” in the Inspector. If the documents do not take up any space at all, they might just simply not be set to compile. Again check the Inspector and make sure they are set up to be included in the draft.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
I have the compile settings set so that the title and other data appear at the beginning of each section, and each section is divided with a #. Even when I compile everything, none of this information appears where the omitted sections should be showing up in my draft. (And the sections that are not pulling are not creating any space in the compilation of the entire draft).

I also checked the inspector as you recommended. None of the sections were set to preserve formatting, but the ones that are not showing up in the compiled draft were not marked “include in draft”. I can’t imagine why since they were yesterday, but I thought that must certainly be the problem. However, I have now marked all of them to be included in the draft in the inspector, and they are still excluded when I compile. I was sure you were right! Rats.

For the moment, I am working around this by cutting and pasting the text from each section into a newly section. That is working fine, except now as I continue to revise, the text is no longer associated with the synopsis, labels, or notes I had previously gathered about each section!

Thanks again! I welcome any more suggestions.

In compile, you can force it to override individual document exclusion settings in the top-right. Try selecting “All” instead of the default “Marked for inclusion”. Also here you can quickly verify that there is indeed a checkmark to the right of each document you wish to compile, as well as keep format. As for how they all got unchecked before, perhaps you accidentally clicked the “Include None” button? When you adjust document settings in Compile, it actually impacts the document preferences in the project, so disabling them while in Compile will keep them disabled until you change it back.

The other thing to verify is that there are checkmarks in each column of the Document Elements section, at least temporarily until you are done testing. You could also experiment with turning on some of the other elements, such as synopses and meta-data.

It sounds like you are already doing what I would have suggested as a test, moving the text to a different document and seeing if it works there. As you’ve noted, that is kind of a last resort as you would have to transfer all of the meta-data information too.

Another thing I’d try is using the Plain Text export format, if you haven’t already, just to rule out any formatting weirdness that is happening. I’d say the chances are remote, but if these documents were generated by pasting text from another application, there is the slim possibility that something “weird” came in which is resulting in a section of faulty RTF during compile. While I haven’t seen this particular bug before, there have been other cases documented where pasting from Word resulting in strange things happening. Plain text export will, naturally, sidestep all of this unless the RTF bug (assuming there is one) is causing Compile itself to trip up when it reaches the faulty documents.

I think you are right about how the “include in draft” box ended up unchecked. I think I clicked “Include None,” in the compilation window thinking I was affecting the baseline situation for a single “run” of the compilation. I didn’t realize I was changing the check box in each section.

Anyway, it seems that what was actually the problem was that I had the wrong column checked in the Document Elements area - I needed to have File Groups marked instead of just files.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me figure it out. I really, really appreciate it! I’ve been using Scrivener for a while, but I only recently starting trying to pull out some of the stuff I’ve been drafting. :slight_smile:

Yeah, File groups can be tricky since ordinary documents can become them or lose that status, merely by re-organising things in the Binder. Very useful though! You are welcome, and I’m glad you got it sorted.