Compile Settings Templates - Sharing ?

I see in the settings for Compile that it appears that these Presets can be imported and exported.

Is anyone doing this ?

I can’t recall seeing anyone share a compile preset around here—maybe once or twice, but I’m not thinking of anything at the moment. I find it more useful just as a way of backing up settings outside of the software, and occasionally transferring them to other computers. I suspect in most cases, compile settings end up being too specific to really be something you’d want to share. So one would have to go out of the way to make it generic and broadly useful, like the presets we supply as examples.

I would have thought the exact opposite. Almost all novels would be compiled in almost exactly same way no ? With only small differences that the new user could tweek ?

If anyone has a Compile Preset that they think would be useful they really should post it to the Tips section. I will be happy to do the same.

In what sense do you mean all novels are basically the same, that could be applied in a way that doesn’t consider the basic presets we provide already? Most novels are going to be in standard manuscript output, with only minor house-rule differences made to it here and there; TNR instead of Courier, etc. So for that case, we already have something.

Then there is self-pub, but that’s more in the design arena than just needing a stock output. Once you get into design, crafting a unique look for your book, would you want that look being shared by other books on the market? But, we have a starter there too, for those without design chops, or those that want a decent starting point, there is the Paperback Novel preset.

Yeah, if you have something you think others would fine useful, go for it! I am just relaying my speculations on why we have not seen a culture of sharing presets arise.

Hey AmberV … I know you know a lot more than I do about this stuff :smiley:

On the other hand I read 43 eBooks on my Kindle in 2013, and I have read ca. 30 already this year. They all look 98% the same. A cover, next page is the title, next page is the copyright. Then most of them use a very simple layout with the chapter number only, about three lines above the start of the text.

More eBook authors are putting the table of contents at the back and going straight into the text after the copyright page. Then following the story with a note from the Author and maybe a preview of another title.

Regarding the one eBook Compile Preset already in Scrivener, for example I can’t find anywhere to handle the title and copyright page and I posted a Q on that in Technical help. I am not knocking Scrivener remember. But imagine a page on the Scrivener site where there were, say, thirty different presets to download, along with screen snaps of how they look when compiled. It would be SO great for the increasing number of self publishers, which must be an imporant future market for Scrivener with what is happening now in that market.

Well, I’m no expert, I’m just an observer.

E-books are a special case, that is true, though more on account of the limitations of electronic publishing at this point in time. There are just only so many things you can do when the individual readers have so much presentation control. But, even with e-books the average author isn’t messing with those personally, that comes out of a simple manuscript, just as the hardback edition does.

I think another factor in the similarity of e-book publishing is that the major publishers are still treating it as a very secondary citizen. If the content of the average e-book were instead used in the hardback, people would be summarily fired for all of the sloppy formatting, typos, OCR glitches and hard-coded hyphens that litter the average e-book. So I’m not expecting fancy design out of them yet, if they can’t even be bothered to hire someone to clean out the ’1’s where there should be lowercase ’l’s.

Again for those that do self-publishing and need to be their own publisher as well as author, we have the basic E-Book presets. They are quite simple, but a good platform for making modifications off of, I think.

They shouldn’t be! That is specifically advised against in Amazon’s publishing guidelines. The main problem with it is that using the ToC then resets your last page read to the end of the book, messing up cross-device syncing.

Ah, but now you’re talking more about a template than a simple compile preset. There is no way to inject a copyright page using purely compile settings (well, no way that you’d want to bother with going through the trouble of doing). Content like that comes from the project itself, not the compiler. Adding a copyright page is a matter of putting a document into the appropriate Front Matter folder, or in the Draft folder, with Page Break Before and Compile As-Is set to it. You can also control where the automatically generated ToC appears with the <$toc> placeholder code (but again that’s in the content not the compile settings), as well as overriding the ToC entirely with a custom contents page.

The title page is handled very similarly to the copyright page. Just have a file at the very top of the compile group that is As-Is so the formatting is preserved and it doesn’t get a separate title.

Try creating a temporary test project using the Novel project template starter to see some practical examples. It’s all in the Binder though! The compile settings for that project will be standard submission manuscript. You’ll even find an example copyright page in its Front Matter folder.

I know, it would be cool. 8) We just haven’t seen any interest in sharing these, for whatever reason—whether my speculations are on target or not—I’d be hard-pressed to recall even a single preset, let alone thirty.

Doesn’t mean you cannot be the ground-breaker. :mrgreen:

Thanks for that reply AmberV … I was going to reply to your points but I got completely distracted by what you are saying about title and copyright pages.

Correct me if I’m wrong but you appear to be saying that I cannot use Scrivener in i’s normal way to compile an eBook for publishing in the Kindle Book store and include a copyright page ?

What I’m saying is that there is no technical difference between a copyright page and any other section in your book. It would be an individual file in your compile contents. Just put the copyright page where you want it, in your Draft, and set “Compile As-Is” and “Page Break Before” in the Inspector for that file, and paste your copyright info into the text editor for that file.

Got it to work …

And I marked the second one with a page break to get it do so.

Jeez what a day. :unamused: . Tks for staying cool AmberV. 'cos I wasn’t. :blush: