Compile skipping content on one chapter

I am trying to compile a work in progress. It currently has twelve chapters. When I attempt to compile it, the book seems to compile correctly except that, no matter what format I attempt to compile into, for chapter nine, it includes only the chapter title page that says “Chapter Nine.” There are five scenes in that chapter and none of them will include themselves in the compile.

I have tried to compile to .rtf, .mobi, and .txt. I get the same result in every case. No matter what I try, I cannot get Scrivener to include those five scenes in the compile. Everything before and after chapter nine is included.

I have double checked everything I can think of to be sure that I have ticked all the necessary boxes. On each scene in the chapter, I have ticked the “Include in compile” box. On the compile box itself, I have double checked that they are checked to be included. Still none of those five scenes are included.

I have downloaded the latest version 1.7.2 and still no joy. I tried to locate an earlier version (1.6) from my computer and from the Scrivener support site and have not had any luck with that.

It gets even stranger…

In the middle of writing this post, I decided I would try moving the scenes up to chapter 8 to see if they would be included in the compile then. They were, BUT, even though in the binder they were shown as being under chapter 8, in the compile they showed as being under chapter 9, as they should have been in the first place.

Another BUT…chapter 10 then became the blank chapter - compiling with the chapter title only and no scenes under it.

Somehow the compiler sees a blank chapter somewhere along where chapter 8 or 9 should be. It obviously is not following the binder from that point down. i.e. chapter 9 scenes that I moved to chapter 8 for testing still compiled as though they were in chapter 9, but then the following chapter shows correctly in the binder, but empty in the compile.

What could possibly causing this craziness? And how can I fix it?

Thanks for the help.

Update:

I had an idea that perhaps something was off base about that chapter 8 folder. I made a new folder, moved the original scenes into it and discarded the original folder. I attempted to compile it, but still had the same issue with chapter 8 compiling, but chapter 9 being blank.

The thing I discovered, though, was that the last scene in chapter 8 was not compiling. That was a scene that I had dragged from chapter 9 up to chapter 8 at some point in time. I made a new scene file under chapter 8 and copied the content from the scene that would not compile and pasted it into the new scene file. I then deleted the scene file that had refused to compile.

Suddenly, the entire book compiled as it should have. It seems that something went wrong when I dragged that scene file from the chapter 9 folder up to the chapter 8 folder. It somehow hung on to the idea that it belonged to chapter 9, even though in the binder, it was in chapter 8.

This was my first time to compile since upgrading to 1.7, so I don’t know if this is a glitch in 1.7.1 and 1.7.2, or if it was a one-time hiccup that corrupted the file when I dragged it to the chapter 8 folder. It is my understanding that I should be able to drag scenes from one chapter to another with no trouble. I have done that many times in the past. Is there a change in Scrivener 1.7 that makes it a no-no to do that now? Should we always use the right-click context menu to move the files?

Thanks.

No, there aren’t any changes that would make that not workable. Without being able to see the original project files, I’d just guess that either there was something different about the setup that affected those few documents (e.g. “as-is” was ticked somewhere by accident) or maybe there was some formatting in them that was cleaned out when doing the copy/paste. Usually this sort of thing comes from the binder hierarchy and compile formatting settings giving you a result you didn’t expect, but again, we’d need to look at the original settings to try to figure out what might have been going wrong there.

If you’ve got it all working now, then there’s no point worrying about it. You should certainly still drag things around and so forth as needed to arrange your manuscript. If the problem crops up again, a screenshot of the binder (with the problem files indicated) and the compile Formatting pane would help show how the project is set up and might give us some direction for trying to solve the problem.