Compile text continuously

So far I use Scrivener for one project only, a journal. In the editor the structure is chronological:
folder - year 2004
sub folder - month 06.2004
file - day 08.06.2004
In this way I get a separate file for the entry of a day,
Since most entries are only one or a few sentences, if I compile a year (the whole journal) I get a file with many pages, one for every day, and tons of empty space.
Is there a way to compile in such a way, that the entries are continuously written ?

I have screenshots but unfortunately I am not allowed to upload them as a newcomer. What a pitty!

Hi Kavi, and welcome to the forum.

For the files that contain each day’s entry, you’ll want to choose an example text in the File > Compile panel’s “Assign Section Layouts” area that does not include a page break in its example text.

In that screenshot, the example text in the middle has the example text I’ve assigned to my “Heading” documents using a page break.

In contrast, the example I’ve assigned to my “Text” documents does not have a page break.

Hi Ruth,

Thanks a lot, that brought me so much closer to what I want to do. Is there a way to format the Section Types?

Hi Kavi. If you click the plus mark in the lower-left of the File > Compile panel and select “Duplicate & Edit Format”, you’ll be taken into the compile designer panel.

There, you can select the “Section Layouts” in the left sidebar. Scrivener will bold the section layout names you’re using, and you can customize from there.

You might also want to check out our 4-part series titled “Getting Your Work Out” on the Mac tutorial videos page.

You can click on the dropdown and select “macOS” to see its video page.

I’m suggesting you view the macOS compile videos because our developer has not recorded a Windows-specific set of compile videos.

While some of the settings shown on the Mac version are different from the PC version, the overall compile process and the steps needed to customize the compile settings are similar. You might find seeing that process demonstrated is helpful before you dive into your own settings.

The Tutorial also has some documents about the compile process. And, Chapters 23 and 24 in the Scrivener manual go into detail on the settings and customization process. You can access a PDF copy of the manual from the Help menu. That is also where you can access the Tutorial.

Using the Tutorial as a test project to tinker is my preferred approach when trying out new settings and features.

2 Likes