Compile to MS Word Does Not Use Headings?

Microsoft Word uses headings to make it easier to reformat the entire document in an instant. For example, you can reformat all chapter headings by changing the format of “Heading 1” in Word.

When I compiled to Word (docx), it does not use Headings and uses an ugly font not suitable for publishing as an ebook or paperback. Since you did not use Word’s Headings feature, reformatting the entire document is very time consuming.

I love how Scrivener helps organize the creation of the book, but the fact that I would have to spend so much time reformatting it to publish almost negates the benefits Scrivener provides.

Is there a way to compile or export a Scrivener document so that it is properly formatted in Microsoft Word, complete with Headers and preferred fonts?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

P.S. I am self-publishing, not submitting it to a publishing house, so I am formatting the document myself to be ready to print.

Scrivener doesn’t use Styles as such.

But what you can do is take advantage of Word’s advanced Find & Replace.

Format your document so that all your headings have a unique format in Scrivener, you could use colour or whatever, but for this example, let’s say you made them all a 16pt font. Then in Word, use find and replace to find all instances of 16pt text and replace the formatting with Heading 1 style.

That would look something like this:

Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 10.33.05 AM.png
That’s Word 2011 on a Mac, but it’s pretty similar in Windows.

You can get fairly complicated with the advanced find and replace - one thing I do regularly is have it search my documents for everything between braces { } - remove the braces and reformat the text that was between them to be 8 point, Hidden, and 40% Grey.

Thanks for the workaround. :slight_smile:

It would be nice if we could get the compiled version to use Headings when compiled in Microsoft Word format, or even RTF. It would not need to add styles into Scrivener itself, but rather as part of the compile process.

I am torn because I love Scrivener’s features for writers, but it does not make my life easier as a self-publisher, it makes it harder.

Maybe we need more than one compile option. The existing ones I have tested seem to be formatted as something you give an editor or to a publishing house, rather than something ready to upload to Lulu or Create Space (by Amazon) to get self-published.

I know that Scrivener is not meant to be a WYSIWYG publishing tool, but if the author simply tweaked the compile options a bit, it could easily create documents that are almost print ready (for publishing).

I believe Style support is something that’s in the works (I seem to recall reading something to that effect).

And you probably could tweak your compile settings to output how you want. You’ll need to read up on it in the manual (or wait for someone who’s done it more to chime in), but you can take advantage of the different levels of folders and documents so that Folder level 1 compiles with X settings, Folder level 2 with Y, document level 1 with A, document level 2 with B, etc. Might take a bit of binder reorganization though, depending on how your documents are structured and what you want to accomplish.

I would love to see styles. It makes things so much easier when making changes to the format throughout the document.

The other option is to bypass RTF for styling and use the Multimarkdown (MMD) route – this preserves a full document hierarchy and provides much more detailed style support. I use the MMD > ODF route for large documents (I’ve happily upgraded from Word to LibreOffice), and I get a full hierarchy and even document styles such as quotations are preserved. Because the ODF format is XML, I can do more precise style tweaking using a ruby script before I open the ODT file in LibreOffice. I assume the MMD > DOCX compile route offers similar advantages.

I know people are used to using rich text (and you can still style your scrivener docs within scrivener so everything looks as you want while writing), but the benefits of writing to MMD, especially with the excellent compile support that Scrivener offers, really makes advanced formatting readily accessible.

The Scrivener manual itself (written in scrivener using MMD to output to LaTeX/PDF) is a great sample document to see how powerful the scrivener+MMD combination can be…