Compile to PDF Problems

Hi,

I’ve been trying to format my document for a 6’‘x9’’ book but whenever I compile it to a pdf everything’s all messed up. Like, I make sure everything is right in scrivener, the chapter beginnings are in the right place, title pages, etc. and so I compile as pdf, checking through all the compile options first, and then in the pdf all the spacing isn’t what I before and stuff. . . I’ve been trying to fix it for hours over and over but can’t figure it out, it’s getting very frustrating. Help please?

Hi,

When you say that you are making sure everything is right in Scrivener, do you mean in the main editor or in the compile settings? Are you overriding the fonts in the “Formatting” pane of Compile? (If you are using the novel template or one of the other non-blank templates, override may be turned on too.) Remember that Compile allows you to completely change the formatting of the document - go through the “Formatting” pane and see if everything is set up correctly there.

All the best,
Keith

In both. In the main editor I have the view set to pages that are 6’‘x9’’ so I can get the spacing correct and in the compile settings I make sure nothing will override the font, spacing, etc. In the compile settings I even got the page setup on size 6’‘x9’’.

Oh. You were right, something in the compilations were a bit off. In the page settings the spacing for the margins were a bit off, I fixed it and everything’s good now!

But I had just one other question. Is there any way to give specific headers to each chapter within the manuscript? Instead of the whole entire book having the same header on each page. Or is there a way to change the header on, say, even numbered pages and odd numbered pages?

Glad you got it sorted!

Regarding headers, no, there’s no way to do that - for that you will need to edit the file in a word processor. Scrivener allows basic page layout settings in Compile but leaves anything vaguely advanced - such as chapter headers or odd-and-even headers - to dedicated page layout programs.

All the best,
Keith

Oh okay. Thanks for the help!