Compile to updated version of Word

Hello.

(First, thank you very much for your most excellent software. I personally use it for writing my sermons, and the logic by which it is structured fits perfectly with my own writing process. So thank you so much!!!)

Two minor tweaks in the process of compiling to Word would be great. (I use a Word doc for the final compiled manuscript.)

1. The formatting does not always translate to the Word document. The margins usually do just fine, but the font is sometimes hit or miss. Sometimes the Word doc is not my font from Scrivener (Avenir Next), but reverts to the Word default (Cambria). The same sometimes happens with the text size. I have not figured out if there is a particular pattern to when it does or does not format as I intended.

(I apologize that my own technological savvy in this area is not up to par, so this one might well be operator error.)

1. When opening up the Word doc, it opens in “Compatability Mode”, and requires me to do File>Convert Document. The biggest issue with this is that when I open the Word doc on my iPad (which I use for reading the manuscript while delivering the sermon), it will not save any edits unless I “convert” the document. This just adds an additional step to the process that I have to remember. Thus, I cannot simply compile and go, but need to edit the doc on my computer before I can grab my iPad for preaching. It would be much more seamless on my part to just compile it to Dropbox, and be able to pick up my iPad, and be good to go for the manuscript.

Again, thank you very much for your excellent program! And thank you for your consideration of these tweaks.
Colin

Have you tried compiling to RTF and opening that in Word. RTF is Scrivener’s native format, so when you compile to DOCX is is compiling to RTF and then converting that using a third party converter. But Word can Read RTF perfectly—RTF was originally developed by Microsoft—and by opening the RTF in Word, you are letting Word do the conversion rather than using an intermediary application.

Compiling to RTF Is also quicker for the same reason. Apart from meeting the demands of Luddite editors who insist they must be sent DOCX, I have to admit I can never understand the urge to compile to that as it does include potential gremlins in the intermediary stage.

HTH

Mark

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding the fonts, this may simply be down to differences between Word fonts and other macOS fonts. Microsoft provides its own fonts for its Office suite which aren’t available to other apps. So, for instance, the version of Times New Roman in Word is slightly different from the one used across the rest of macOS. The only thing I can think of that would cause this, then, is that you are using an unusual font that Word doesn’t support (or it doesn’t support the regular macOS version of it). I’ve never seen this issue myself, though.

As for “Compatibility Mode”, I am hopeful that I have addressed this for the next free update. We use a third-party converter (Aspose) to convert RTF files (which Scrivener generates internally) to Word files, and it seems that there are some extra options I can set on the converter which remove Compatibility Mode in Word.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith