Compile to wikitext

This seems to be about the one useful format Scrivener does not yet offer.

I post a lot of Scrivener-written stories to a story-based wiki, and my workflow involves first creating several e-book document formats to make available for downloading—and then opening the ODT version in LibreOffice and using LibreOffice’s “export to wikitext” feature. That’s literally the only thing I use LibreOffice for.

If LibreOffice can export to wikitext, why can’t Scrivener compile to it? It would be nice to be able to save time by not having to resort to LibreOffice anymore…

1 Like

Bumping this up, since it hasn’t seen any reply or other discussion. Again, given the plethora of formats to which it is possible to compile works, wikitext seems to be conspicuous by its absence. Since LibreOffice is open source, couldn’t you pull the code for exporting out of that?

Thanks, we’ll look into it, but I can’t promise anything. But, there are always going to be programs that have more or different converters than Scrivener—especially programs like LibreOffice, that kind of function as a universal word processing conversion tool.

Oh, and I presume you mean TiddlyWiki dialect? Or DokuWiki?

MediaWiki, apparently.

Hello guys,
I’ve been wanting this too, so I took the afternoon and pounded it out.
This is a Long Post, but it explains how I got to the MediaWiki Compiler from nada.
I promise reading it or at least skimming through this will be worth it.
I’m presenting it here so people with other Wiki’s might be able to build a Compiler for their flavor of Wiki, incase they require something more then MediaWiki.

[size=120]Creating the Compiler[/size]
First I had to dissect a MediaWiki export, to what was needed for a Successful MediaWiki Import.
Turns out while the Export is filled with all sorts of things, the import can be as simple as:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mediawiki>
<page>
	<title>Article Title</title>
	<revision>
		<text>

This is where the Article Text and stuff goes.
=== heading ==== works
blah === heading ==== does not work

</text>
	</revision>
</page>
</mediawiki>

Using this and the Text Compiler base compile, inside Scrivener, I was able successfully create the directives, which would compile a Scrivener Project into MediaWiki Import xml file; which I them successfully imported into a MediaWiki site.
After MediaWiki Compiler Preset was complete and working for Mac Scrivener version, I repeated the process for the Windows Scrivener version. Then it was building the Templates and creating the documentation for both versions, so people could actually use them.

This meant as an One-Way process from Scrivener to the XML File, which you can import into a MediaWiki; it does not translate Links; export Pictures or other attachments; or convert any specialized Scrivener directives, for import. You will have to do those the old fashion way, “By Hand” once your document is in MediaWiki.

[size=120]Why Two Compilers[/size] (Which may become only one!)
While creating the preset and testing it, I learned several thing. One of them is: MediaWiki will replace an Article’s existing text with the importing text. As always: doing a backup prior to doing any import is a very important step in the process. Don’t forget it or you will live to regret it as many ‘use to be’ IT people can attest to.
When I finished making the basic compiler preset, I thought of how hacked off I would be if, though my own carelessness and lack of forethought, I mistakingly overwrote one or all of my MediaWiki Articles. So I started looking for a method that would in some manner stop this from happening, by making the imported articles unique. The fastest and easiest was to add the Project Name to the Article name. So “Bill the Stupid” became the “Battle of Kona - Bill the Stupid”. Now if you happen to have an article named Bill the Stupid, you don’t over write it. Once you get the Article into your Wiki, you can use check each of the titles and then use the Move tab of the Article page to rename the article. And that is how I came up with the NoPrefix and Prefix Versions of the Compiler Preset.
Now for my trepidation:
I am seriously thinking about removing the “NoPrefix” version and here is why:
While you will say, 'Oh that will Never Happen!", I can see someone wiping out their several year old Wiki by forgetting to do a Backup and importing a large amount of Articles over their existing Articles. with may break other articles.
Important Safety Tip: I would only use the “NoPrefix” Version to create your first Import xml file for your Wiki. After the initial import, I strongly suggest you use the Prefix version for any subsequent imports. I adamantly suggest that all future editing of imported Articles be done on the WIKI, NOT in Scrivener. I did not create this as an OFFLINE Editing extension for Scrivener and I will not be creating a MediaWiki Export to Scrivener tool, for all the reasons I listed above and more.

So here is the Big LEGAL Disclaimer:
[size=110]This Template, and the MediaWiki Compiler presets which it uses, were intended as a means of converting a Scrivener Project into an xml fie, compatible with the MediaWiki’s import function. By using this Template and the MediaWiki Compiler presets, you are assuming all liabilities for any damages done to a MediaWiki Site. This Template and the MediaWiki Compiler presets were not intended as an off line MediaWiki editing extension for Scrivener. L&L and myself bear no responsible and are not Liable for any damages to you may cause to a MediaWiki, by using this Template and the MediaWiki Compiler presets.[/size] (if a there is a Lawyer among you, would you mind verifying the wording, to ensure L&L and I are not Liable for damages.)

[size=120]From the Template Read me:[/size]
About This Template (I will be updating the templates with better instructions)
When compiled (File > Compile) with one of the MediaWiki Compile Choices, this project will generate an XML file which can be imported into any MediaWiki.
This is a Fast and Simple Compiler for Scrivener to XML for MediaWiki Import.
No Formatting is converted. If you build Links with [[link]] them they will work in the MediaWiki. Without the double bracket they will not. (There are other issues with Scrivener Links See the Warning, Gotya’s, and other Weirdness: post.)

There are Two Compile Presets. The MediaWiki-Prefix, adds the Scrivener Project Title, using the token <$projecttitle>, to all Article Names, as it Exports them. MediaWiki-No Prefix does not add that prefix. Both compiler presets use the name of the Scrivener Project Title, using the token <$projecttitle>, as the Article Category. [[category:MyDogHasFles]]

WARNING:
Modification of the XML Header or XML Footer* folders will break the Import into MediaWiki.
This must be Single spaced, with no leading paragraph spacing in the XML File.
Reason: Leading Paragraph Spacing is converted into a Linefeed, which pushes the XML Header down to the second line. if this happens the Import will fail.

[size=120]How To Use This Template[/size]
[size=110]Here are the instructions for creating a new Articles you having written[/size]
Create a New Scrivener project, using the MediaWiki Article Template, under Miscellaneous Section.
Remember that the Project Name becomes the MediaWiki Article’s Title Prefix.

• (This it to save you from over writing an existing Article with one of the same name.)
    If you want to change it from the Scrivener Project’s Name. You need to navigate the menu to ‘Project > Meta-Data Settings…’. Here you set the text for the Tokens <$projecttitle> and <$abbr_title>.

[size=105]Base Articles:[/size]
There is a folder there with some text, a Nested pair of Text Files.

• For additional Articles, there is a Template for with this exact same setup to help you.
      • Right Click, Add -> New from Template -> Article (this looks like a folder)
        Change the name of the folder to the name you want for the MediaWiki Article.
  • The Binder Name is used as the MediaWiki Article Name.
    The Folder Copy in the editor will become your MediaWiki Article’s Introduction section.

[size=105]Article Sections:[/size]
Move to the Heading 2 Text file

• For additional Sections, there is a Template.
      • Right Click, Add -> New from Template -> Heading (this looks like a file)
        Rename the Heading 2 Text File name, in the binder, the name of the section.
  • This equating to “== TITLE ==” (See example below)
    The text in the editor will become Section’s text.
    • Remember that all formatting is going to be lost in the compile.
    • You will need to use MediaWiki’s Formatting directives, which Scrivener will ignore.

[size=105]Article Sections:[/size]
You can Nest a folder under the First Text File and it will be come a Sub-Section

• The binder name Equates to “=== Title ===” (See example below)
  • Note: Do not next more than one file with in a file.

[size=105]Here is how to handle Existing Texts you want in your Wiki[/size]
You begin the same way.
Create a New Scrivener project, using the MediaWiki Article Template, under Miscellaneous Section.
Remember that the Project Name becomes the MediaWiki Article’s Title Prefix.

• (This it to save you from over writing an existing Article with one of the same name.)
    If you want to change it from the Scrivener Project’s Name. You need to navigate the menu to ‘Project > Meta-Data Settings…’. Here you set the text for the Tokens <$projecttitle> and <$abbr_title>.

Inserts a Article Folder
Now copy the Text files you want to make into MediaWiki Articles into
Give each of the folders a unique name.

• This is Important or an earlier Article will be overwritten by the later one
      Then you can go about breaking them up or not into Sections.

[size=110]Compiling and Importing[/size]
[size=105]Compiling:[/size]
To Compile your Project into the XML Import format.
Select “File > Compile…”
Pick either the MediaWiki-NoPrefix or MediaWiki-Prefix Compiler Preset.
Click Compile
Name your File and remember to add the Extension “.xml”
Click Save.

[size=105]Importing:[/size]
Once you have done a Backup of your Wiki:
Go to Special Pages
Scroll Down and click the “import Pages” link
Click on the “Choose File” button
Navigate to your file, selected it, and click open
once back on the Import page, click Upload File
It will report the titles of the pages you uploaded, as Links, and their Revision Number

You have done it, go about editing them in MediaWiki.

[size=105]Visual Samples:[/size]
Here is what an Article will look like in Scrivener and what it will look like once it is imported in to your MediaWiki.
Binder and Text.Png

• When we compile with MediaWiki-Prefix we get the following Page.
    Compile with Prefix.png
  • When we Compile with Mediawiki-NoPrefix we get the following page.
    Compile without Prefix.png

[size=105]Conclusions:[/size]
This is a Simple Compiler to take a Scrivener Project and create an MediaWiki importable XML file. There is nothing fancy here.

There are separate posts below for the Templates and Compiler Presents
There are also Follow up posts which relate to this.
I will be updating the Files to reflect several things I’ve discovered since I created them, each update will have a new version number.
If you download it, make a post here.
Constructive comments are welcome.

Bob

But here is Version 2 of the Mac OS version of the Templates and Compile Presets:

Replaced by Version 2.1

Version2 Updates:
More extensive readme within the Template.
Readme.Txt, with Install Instructions, within Zip
Legal Notices Trued up to match.
New Compiler Presets from different Base point

• Still two of them Jury is still out on this)
    Cleaner XML Format (Samples outputs included)
    Now has support for Support for Nested Folders
  • Each Nested Folder is a New Page.
    Nesting folder can be the Category Index for children
  • Nested folders getting category from Meta-Data field
    Addition of Meta-Data to support that function, with additional fields for future expansion
    Text File Nesting out to five Levels
  • This supports “== Heading 2 ==” to “====== Heading 6 ======” Heading formats
  • Nested text files after the fifth get ----- divider instead of heading (or should)
    New Templates
  • Article Template with nested Text file
  • Category:NAME Nesting Template
    • This had a Article Template Nested within it.

Know Issues:
Each Article Folder needs to have at Least one Text File; Even the Category Index folders

• I hope to fix this at some point.
    Make sure that “Page Break Before” is no Selected.

MacOS Instructions:
There is a more extensive read me in the Template, which explains how to use the Template.

[size=110]This Template, and the MediaWiki Compiler presets which it uses, were intended as a means of converting a Scrivener Project into an xml fie, compatible with the MediaWiki’s import function. By using this Template and the MediaWiki Compiler presets, you are assuming all liabilities for any damages done to a MediaWiki Site. This Template and the MediaWiki Compiler presets were not intended as an off line MediaWiki editing extension for Scrivener. L&L and myself bear no responsible and are not Liable for any damages to you may cause to a MediaWiki, by using this Template and the MediaWiki Compiler presets.[/size] (if a there is a Lawyer among you, would you mind verifying the wording, to ensure L&L and I are not Liable for damages.)

Here is Version 1 of the Windows version of the Compiler:

Replaced by version 2.1

Windows Instructions:
Okay, that was faster than I thought.
So here is is how you install the Compiler presets.

Unzip the file on to your desktop (So you know where the files are.)
Open up Scrivener go to File > Compile
Click the button in the lower left corner that reads: “Load Preset…”
When the next window comes up, Click the Import Button in the upper right corner.
Find the two Files, MediaWiki-NoPrefix.ini and MediaWiki-Prefix.ini.
Import them both.

now for Part two the Template…
Navigate to File New Project
Lower Left Options drop down button
Select Import Template…
Navigate to the "MediaWiki Article Template.Scrivtemplate
Select it and click open, this will import the template.

You will find the template under Miscellaneous.

Enjoy.
Bob

[size=130]For the Devs[/size]
Now As Promised, a few things for our friends at the DEV desk at L&L:

[size=115]Layout pane: [/size]
Please Provide a “Mark the Beginning of the Text with:” Box.
If there was a Beginning of Text box, this would have been two Compiler Presets, not a template and two compiler presets.
I wouldn’t need the XML Header folder and therefore wouldn’t have the Formatting messing with the very simple header:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <mediawiki>
Taller and Wider TextBoxes
Please make both the “Mark the Beginning of the Text with:” and “Mark the End of Text with:” Larger and Taller. There is space for them to be both wider and taller. it would be nice to see a multi line directive like:

</text> </revision> </page> </mediawiki>
Force Extension choice
Could you please provide a method to force an file extension, if you choose the Text File output.
It would be nice for both the Mac and Windows users not to have to remember to use .xml as the extension. (If I’ve missed this could you point it out to me.)

Please add this pane to the Widows Version
With this the Window version would have just been filling in the blanks with what I learned from building the Mac version.

[size=120]Separators Pane: [/size]
I would be nice to have the choice inserting Nothing or Take No action. if you pick Custom and remove the default, it will return, after you save it. (Or it has every time I’ve tried it)

[size=150]Warning, Gotya’s, and other Weirdness:[/size]

Be Careful of Line Spacing:
If you see a lot of blank lines in your Article, it is most likely you have a large Paragraph Spacing. When Making a Text file, Scrivener will attempt to accommodate your desire for spacing by adding extra blank lines. (Had a Heck of a time with the Header file until I figured that one out. I couldn’t understand why Scrivener was starting the document off with a blank line. If you XML Fails to load, it is most likely because the XML Header has Paragraph Before Set to something other an 0.0 )

XML Header and XML Footer Folders
The First and Most important thing and both these to folder. Do not touch them in any manner.
The must be included in your compile and “Compiled As-Is”

Remember to add .xml as the extension
I couldn’t force this (or find where I could force it) so you will have to remember to add it.
It doesn’t make a difference to how MediaWiki imports the file, but it does on how both Windows and MacOS treat the file.
On the Mac, it is a quick sanity check. MscOS will not give you a preview if the XML code is corrupt. Hence MediaWiki will give you an error when you attempt to Import it.

My Heading are not Headings
I have seen a few instances where the Text File binder name has not show up at a nice Bold name, but as a Code block or just “== name ==”
the Code block is caused by indents, that is what intents are removed (or should be) during the Compile.
The “== name ==” issue is caused by the lack of a carriage return or again “== name ==” no being against the left margin.

Scrivener Links
The MediaWiki does not like Scrivener Links. At this point the best bet is to remove them and put [[article’s name]] instead. Once you get it into your MediaWiki you may have to come back and edit those to make them work.
Note: I am looking at away to automatically remove the text causing the issue and replacing it with [Link->] so you can easily find where Links should be in your articles.

The &, < and > just say no! added Mar-3
Okay turned out the XML doesn’t like the &; as well as < and >.
I will post a New Mac compile preset with the replacement of & to & during the compile.
The < and > are issues, because the replacement appears to run twice. Once a pre-render then again after the document is rendered. For instance the & was replaced with &amp;. It appears to have converted the & of the converted &. Setting up the < and > to be converted, cause all of the < and >, even those added by the compiler; and of course that made the XML, trash.
The Character < and > will break make the XML fail test, so I suggest a manual find and replace before you do the compile; but watch that you don’t convert the XML Header.
Just as a sanity check on the rest of the special Characters through the compile process:
~ ! @ # $ % ^ * ( ) _ + { } [ ] : ; ’ " , . / ? \ | <- what I put in ~ ! @ # $ % ^ * ( ) _ + { } [ ] : ; ' " , . / ? \ | <- what passed with out issue.
I will post the Mac update shortly, so the & will be converted to & which will come out &amp; but hey at least it is consistent.
Interesting Side Note: in Scrivener for Windows, the & was converted to & not &amp;.

Weird invisible Characters added Mar 3
I discovered this out while taking one of my larger reference documents that started several in word 5.1 on the Mac and had gone through several editors along the way.
If your xml file looks right, but doesn’t pass muster, start looking for odd Characters.
I have not see the Weird Character issue on anything knew I’ve run through the compiler, just my really old stuff.

Tables Added Mar-3
Due to the nature of tables, they are not handled very well in the Text Compiler.
I suggest you pull you tables our, and convert them before you do your compile or just rebuild them once you have the articles into MediaWiki.

Page Break Before:
Make sure that “Page Break Before” if not selected for all documents.
Fastest way on the Mac option-click the top of the column in the Compile>Contents pane. that will Clear set or clear all of them. In Windows Alt-Click any box in the column will do it.

Come back and check for new items
I will continue to add things here as I use the compiler myself.
Also I’m going to try and solve some of the issues, if it can be done within the compiler with presets.

Bob

[size=125]The Future of this Compiler Preset:[/size]
This is a list of things I am looking at adding to the Compiler, if it is possible:

Nested Folders for different Categories
I would like the ability to used Nested Folders as additional category names.
This is how it currently works:

Scrivener Project Name  <-This is now use as the Article name Prefix
	Manuscript Title <- This is used as a category for the articles
		Article Folder name <- Article Name
			Text File Name <- This is a Heading 2 sections
				Text File Name <- This is a Heading 3 sections
		Article Folder name <- Article Name

What I would like to do:

Scrivener Project Name  <-This is now use as the Article name Prefix
	Manuscript Title <- I am looking to use this token as a 
		Article Folder name <- Recognize this as an additional Category
			Article Folder name <- This is the Article's Name

Update:
You can Nest folders and each folder will make a new page, just like any folder.
I am going to look for a method, by which nested folder, become included Category Pages
Like this one on Category:Lightweight markup languages
Each subsequent nested folder would be a Sub-category to it’s parent folder.
More:
AmberV’s post on using Meta-Data in the Suffix might just solve this one. It will however demand that you fill out the Metadata for each folder, but it seems to work.
Even More and the Death of this Idea:
I have given up on doing this idea completely, for the following reasons:

• While it sounds like a great idea, the Title of the Nesting Folder is not available to the Nested Folder.
  • Scrivener does not Restart the Formatting Level1 for at the Folder Level, so in the first Nested folder the highest heading you are going to get is a Level 3
  • The Custom Meta-Data turns out to be the better choice.

Convert or clean up Scrivener Links RESOLVED
This might not be possible solely with a Compiler Preset and I am not willing to dig deeper, without help from L&L. But I hope I can at least clean up the Links so they don’t cause an issue with importing.

If you would like to suggest anything please do.
Bob

I’m not a lawyer — and I’m British — but shouldn’t it be “bear” rather than “bare”?

Seeing you and the Lit&Lat team unclothed would probably be more than I could bear! :laughing:

Mr X

Yes that would be unbearable! :blush:
Bad English on my part!

Thank you
Bob

But here is Version 2.1 of the Mac OS version of the Templates and Compile Presets:
MacOS_MediaWiki_Article_Template_Ver2_1.zip (739 KB)
[size=120]Version 2.1 update:[/size]
Template Changes:
Did a little clean up of the template
Added the Warning and Weirdness to the template.
New Scrivener Templates

• Heading - (Text icon)
      • used same thing as a Text (Replace Heading with the Name of the heading)
  • New Article - a Folder with nested Text file (Green Notebook icon)
      • used to start new articles
  • Old Article - a Folder without a Nested Older (Red Notebook icon)
      • used for moving Existing Scrivener Text Files into your MediaWiki
  • Category:NAME - a Folder with nested Text (Folder icon)

Compiler Preset Changes:
Added replacing & with & (Correctly)
You no longer need to clear Scrivener’s Links, they will just come out as text.
Web Links with out display Text could out as standard
literatureandlatte.com
Web links which have a text Reference, only the Reference will print out.

Have added two more Compile Presets:
MediaWiki-NoAutoFormat | Keeps the Categories using the Folder’s Meta-Data
MediaWiki-OnlyPages | Only breaks the Scrivener Project in to Articles for that want to do all the Title and Heading by hand.

Additional Files:
Added Text outputs from all four Compiler Presets, so you can see what they give you.
Added a Sample File
Read ME File with install instructions

Know Issues:
Make sure that “Page Break Before” is no Selected
• Without this the Page Headers will not be Added
• Option-Click on any box will set and clear them all
The Less than symbol ‘<’ can’t be caught
Also if you remember to put the extension .xml on the file, if you are in Column view, you will see the XML code. if you don’t see the code there is badness inside the file. Simple Reality check.

MacOS Instructions:
install instructions moved to Readme File

Sorry for the delay, but here is Version 2.1 of the Windows version of the Compiler:
Windows_MediaWiki_Article_Template_Ver2_1.zip (618 KB)

[size=120]Version 2.1 update:[/size]
Template Changes:
Did a little clean up of the template
Added the Warning and Weirdness to the template.

New Scrivener Templates

• Heading - (Text icon)
      • used same thing as a Text (Replace Heading with the Name of the heading)
  • New Article - a Folder with nested Text file (Green Notebook icon)
      • used to start new articles
  • Old Article - a Folder without a Nested Older (Red Notebook icon)
      • used for moving Existing Scrivener Text Files into your MediaWiki
  • Category:NAME - a Folder with nested Text (Folder icon)

Compiler Preset Changes:
Added replacing & with & (Correctly)
It also replaces the special characters for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, em-dash.
You no longer need to clear Scrivener’s Links, they will just come out as text.
Web Links with out display Text could out as standard
Web links which have a text Reference, only the Reference will print out.

Have added two additional Compiler Presets:
MediaWiki-NoAutoFormat | Creates articles from Folders and Maintains the “Project Title” token as a Category title.
MediaWiki-OnlyPages | Only Creates articles from Folders. All the other formatting is up to you.

Additional Files:
Added Text outputs from all four Compiler Presets, so you can see what they give you.
Added a Sample File
Read ME File with install instructions

Know Issues:
Make sure that “Page Break Before” is no Selected
• Without this the Page Headers will not be Added
• Option-Click on any box will set and clear them all
The Less than symbol ‘<’ can’t be caught
Cannot change .txt Extension. This is not a big issue, as MediaWiki doesn’t seem to care, as long as the file is formatted correctly.

Version2 Updates: (Released only as part of 2.1 and some things were reversed)
More extensive readme within the Template.
Readme.Txt, with Install Instructions, within Zip
Legal Notices Trued up to match.
New Compiler Presets from different Base point

• Still two of them (Jury is still out on this)
    Cleaner XML Format (Samples outputs included)
    Meta-Data Added to Template, but unusable in Windows version, this is for Continuity between the Mac and Windows templates and for future expansion
    Text File Nesting out to five Levels
  • This supports “== Heading 2 ==” to “====== Heading 6 ======” Heading formats
  • Nested text files after the Seventh get ----- divider instead of heading (or should)
    New Templates
  • Article Template with nested Text file

Windows Instructions:
install instructions moved to Readme File

Enjoy.
Bob