Compile to Word - Problem with titles

Hi,

I am very happy and familiar with the previous version of Scrivener (wich I used in a project with a friend of mine; that’s precisely why I ended up buying the new version for myself).
With the previous version, I used to compile my manuscripts without any problem and I obtained, in a simple and safe way, a Word document where the titles given by me to every document were appearing on the top as if a name for the chapter.
It seems definitely impossible to get titles in the Word document compiled by the new version of Scrivener. Could you offer any HELP, PLEASE?

Thank you,

Maribel

P.S.: does it exist any comprehensive tutorial on this problem?

Hi,

The Help file is very comprehensive. :slight_smile: Actually this should be really straightforward. Just choose “Title” for the document types in the “Formatting” pane of the Compile sheet:

This is pretty much how it was done in 1.x, too.

All the best,
Keith

Hello,
Before writing my previous message, I had tried ALL Compile options (including activation of the boxes that you noted) and had also consulted the User Manuel, of course, but never got the titles of the chapters. :frowning:
This option, so important to complete a manuscript, worked properly in the previous version.
Regards,

Maribel
Capture 2010-12-10.jpg

The feature should be working. I put titles into compiles maybe ten a day, testing various things. There must be some factor we don’t know about. Try adding a prefix in the Title Settings button and see if that comes through. Try using Printing/PDF as the compile format, and then click the preview button and see if that words (eliminating any potential weirdness in Word).

Hello,
I Adding a prefix in the Title and using Printing / PDF format as the compile, the frustrating result remains the same. :unamused:
I should consider returning the previous version for the compile?
Regards,

Maribel

When you say the titles given by you to every document, you mean the titles in the binder, yes? Not a separate title that you put in the body text? I think that some of the templates, especially in the older version before the new compile options came about, may have had you write your chapter names in the body text of “chapter” folders. Using the “title” field in the compile will use whatever you’ve named the document in the binder, but if you have a chapter name stored somewhere else, it won’t know that.

Is your title showing up in the text you compile at all, just perhaps not set apart as a title the way you’re looking for? If that’s the case we can troubleshoot that. I’m just trying to think up ideas of why it may not be working, since it sounds like you’re doing everything right.

Hello,

Yes, I mean titles in the binder. They don’t appear AT ALL in the compile, whatever choices I make in the formatting pane. Any help? I don’t have any idea what to try next. I’m just wondering whether I should come back to the previous version.

Thank you,

Maribel

Please post screenshots of:

  1. Your binder (make sure a good chunk of the Draft folder is visible in the shot).

  2. The “Formatting” pane in the Compile sheet.

Also, make sure you haven’t ticked “Compile As-Is” for the documents, as “Compile As-Is” tells Scrivener not to change the formatting or add any titles for documents with that setting ticked.

No, you should not go back to the previous version.

Hello,
Here are the screens that you asked me and others.
I see in the forum I’m not the only one with problems with the compiler.
I regret very much that you can not return to the previous version. It was simple and effective.

Thank you,

Maribel



And here the screenshot of my binder …

Maribel

You have “Compile As-Is” checked for every document. As I said in my previous message, if that option is checked, the titles won’t be included. “As-Is” causes just the document text to be included with no formatting overridden. That is your problem.

The vast majority of users prefer the new compile options - given their power, it is only natural a few users will find them confusing at first until they get used to them. The old compile options were not very flexible and were not contextual. It would be a massive backwards step to return to something so basic. And besides, that’s not your issue here - the issue is only the change in behaviour of “Preserve Formatting” from 1.x to become “Compile As-Is”, which allows for much more flexibility too.

Hello,

Thank you very much, I’ve finally solved the problem. My titles are now in the right place and with the features I want. I return to enjoy the pleasure that gives the versatility of Scrivener.
Thank you also for your patience.

Maribel

Great! Glad that helped and you got it sorted. Hopefully once you’ve used the new compile sheet a bit more you’ll get some use out of its new features too.
Thanks and all the best,
Keith