Compile was Gibberish

Hi all! Sorry if this is a repeat topic.

I’m working off of the latest version of Scrivener for Windows. I just installed the template for NaNoWriMo 2015, as well as the “compile” format for existing documents. When I compiled for my current work with the NaNoWriMo option (NOT the template, but the “compile as” option), my document came out as gibberish. It looked like it had been encoded in some way.

I’m not too tech-savvy with software, so I’m not sure what I could have done wrong. Any advice is appreciated!

The NaNoWriMo compile preset includes a number of character replacements to obfuscate the text for pasting into the online validator. You can delete them if you wish; click the blue arrow button to the right of the Format As menu button to expand the compile dialog, then select “Replacements” and switch to the “Preset Replacements” tab to see them.

… or you could just select one of the “Novel” options from the Format As drop-down; that will clear out the NaNoWriMo settings that are obfuscating your words.

If it’s for validating word count, using “Original” might be preferable to “Novel”, as it won’t inflate the count with extras like “Chapter” prefix. It won’t include the document titles, either (neither does the NaNoWriMo preset), so you could tick those on in the “Formatting” options of compile. (Click the blue arrow button to the right of the Format As menu button in the compile dialog to see the whole set of compile options.) You might also want to select “Remove inspector comments” from the Footnotes & Comments options.

Thanks everyone. I guess I didn’t realize what “obfuscate” meant. :slight_smile:

I’ll try those options.