Compiled project and now it won't update NaNoWriMo word count correctly

Hi! I was playing around with Scrivener, learning how to use it, and decided to compile some of what I had written in a couple of chapters to see what it would look like. After doing that, when I try to update my word count for NaNoWriMo, it only counts new stuff I’ve written and not the total of the whole project. Any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks!

If you go through the Compile process again and select all of your writing, it will then prompt Scrivener to return all of those documents to its word count.

Alternatively, you could go to the Project menu and then select the Statistics option. From there, you can select the Options tab in that panel and revise the settings that are selected.

If you’d like some additional information about Scrivener’s statistics and goal-tracking tools, Section 20.1 of the manual provides information about those tools and the different option settings. You can access the manual via Scrivener’s Help menu.

Best of luck with your NaNo project, and welcome to our forum!

The NaNoWriMo counter uses the same word count as shown in Project Targets, and that is based on whatever Compile is currently set to Compile. So if you go to Compile and choose only to compile a subset of the project, then only that subset will be counted in your NaNo count.

As Ruth says, to fix that you just need to change your Compile settings back. In Compile, switch the compile group back to the whole draft and then hold down the Option/Alt key, which changes the “Compile” button to “Save”. This allows you to save your Compile settings without actually compiling again.

All the best,
Keith