Compiled word doc won't open...and "N/A" symbols

Hi,

I have two issues that may be related but both are quite vexing:

When I select multiple chapters of my project and it cuts to the corkboard, each notecard has a giant red “N/A” stamped over it. I have no idea how those got there, nor do I know what they mean. I can still edit things, so for a while I didn’t care.

But when I tried compiling the first several chapters (which has worked before) into a word format, I click on the resulting file and the error message says “Word cannot open this document. The document may be in use or might not be a valid Word document.” Word was not already in use, though Scrivener was still open…I tried quitting that and it still didn’t work. Opening with another program still yielded an error.

Are these problems related, and can I fix both? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My apologies if this is already out there, but I thought I tried fairly hard with the search bar.

Thanks,
Dan

The “N/A” stamp on your index cards is the “status” metadata field. You can either right-click on the card then choose the status from the context menu, or go to the inspector and change the status from there. Personally, I like to have things like “to do” and “first draft” stamped across the cards. “N/A” is simply the default status.

You can also turn the status stamps off, in the View menu, the same as you can turn the coloured pins (metadata “label”) on and off.

When you compiled to word format, are you sure Scrivener was finished writing the file? If you try to open the .doc file in Word before Scrivener is finished writing, that should be the error message you get. I haven’t used the .doc format myself so I can’t provide any more information than this for this issue.

As Janra says, the “N/A” is a representation of the document status, which can be turned off view View > Corkboard > Show Status Stamps. For this, it might be helpful to remind yourself of the tutorial or Help files which explain the corkboard features.

As for the Word export, I haven’t seen that before - strange. Which version of Word are you using? If you export to RTF, does the resulting RTF file open in Word okay? Will TextEdit open the exported .doc file?

All the best,
Keith

Yes, the RTF does open okay and it opens without problem in word. So for now, there’s no real problem, I could just export RTFs (which I’m using to send chapters for review). But the .doc still doesn’t work, and clicking on the .doc I made yesterday still encounters the error. Old .doc files still work…just not recent ones.

I understand this sounds unusual, and I’m hoping it’ll just go away though that sounds pretty nontechnical…but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Could you try opening the resulting .doc file in TextEdit and see if it opens there? I ask because Scrivener and TextEdit use the same text system.

Also, to rule out this being a problem with the text system, could you try opening the RTF file in TextEdit and then saving out of TextEdit as a .doc file, and see if that opens in Word.

Also, to repeat my earlier question, what version of Word are you using?

Let me know the results of the above, as it will give me a better clue as to what might be happening.

Thanks,
Keith

I have Word 2004 Version 11.5.3, and the original .doc exported product wouldn’t open in Text Edit but the indirect RTF method, when saved as a doc, opened fine. The only thing that won’t cooperate, it seems, is the directly exported .doc file from Scrivener, while any other exported form can be turned into a doc after the fact. At this point, I’d really just like it to work to make things easier, but the initial dilemma is solved…though that is strange behavior.

Could you zip up the project that is causing this problem and send it to me, along with the problematic .doc file, at support AT literatureandlatte DOT com? I’ll take a look at what is going on.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

I’m getting this too. If I compile a draft in Word (both DOC and DOCX) formats, I get:

“Word cannot open this document. The document may be in use or might not be a valid Word document.”

I’m giving Scrivener plenty of time to complete the operation (several minutes), and I’ve tried shutting down Scrivener and Word, saving to different folders, saving with different file names, etc. As far as I can tell, I can’t compile my draft as a Word document under any conditions without getting the above error message. There are ways around it (like saving as RTF instead), but it would be nice to be able to compile straight to Word.

The problem strangely went away for the op. Scrivener users the built-in OS X text engine to save to .doc and .docx - it just passes OS X the text and asks it to save it as that type of file - so to me this sounds like a glitch in the text system itself. However, you could zip up your project and send it to me at support AT literatureandlatte DOT com and I’ll take a look.
All the best,
Keith