Compiler bug? (font selection)

HI :slight_smile:
I’m trying to get the compiler output to use a particular font.
All the text files I want to be compil;ed are set as type ‘section’ in the project settings ‘section types’
when compiling I’ve edited existing ‘scrivener format’ “Paperback (5…)”
Then in ‘assign section layouts’ I’ve set type ‘section’ to use layout ‘section with sub heading’

Then I edit this layout, and in the format window I’ve changed the font of the heading, and a seperate font for the text.

after the compile the font for the heading has changed, but the text font hasn’t.

I’ve tried different fonts and sizes for both, and always it’s just the heading which changes.
Is this a bug, or me being dim?
The changes always get reflected in all the preview panes, but never in the output file (PDF).

Any help please? :slight_smile:

Did you use styles in your body text ?
Any segment of text to which a style was assigned won’t be affected by the formatting changes made to a section layout.

If that is the case, you need to either remove the style(s) from your text, or to import the concerned style(s) in the style panel of your compile format, and rather tweak the formatting there.
Styles are not intended to be used everywhere; but rather in the few paragraphs you may have that are to be formatted differently than the overall text.

Yes. I have a style assigned to all my body text in the manu. But I thought the compile could over-ride everything…? Isn’t that what the compile thing is all about? But anyway the compile isn’t even using the style from the body text, so I’m totally confused now. I dont know where it’s getting it’s font selection from now at alllllllllllll

It is getting it from your style… And it won’t override it unless you do it yourself, in the Styles panel.

It can. But styles are handled separately. Which is actually a big plus, and the whole idea (or almost) behind the concept.

Note that by using styles everywhere, you are denying yourself a bunch of useful compile features…
Unless you got a good thought through reason to do so, I’d advise against it.

1 Like

Already tried that. it doesn’t work.
probs easier just exporting into a word doc then change it all there

This is getting stupid, and toally illogical and nonsensical.

Are you even in the Scrivener support team?

Just a user. Like 99.6695% of the people you’ll come across here.

Perhaps you did it wrong ?

are there any reps from the support team here at all…?

Yes.
And they will probably tell you what I just told you.

You can contact them directly, here :

As a last resort that will be useful. Thanks.

Well, this is confusing… The manual seems to contradict itself

“With styles, you can use whatever suits you for particular texts and
then have the compiler convert those to more conventional formatting in the
end. E.g. one style to express three different versions of a text to: (a) standard
submission format, (b) formatted traditionally to ebook for proofing or (c) as a
custom technical format for publication”

and then later it says:-

“A submission manuscript format might use 12pt Times New Roman
on all unstyled text, but if you have a “Body” style applied to everything using
your favourite 16pt sans writing font—guess what, the compiler is going to defer
to your demands and you’ll never see Times New Roman.
So that is the first principle to understand: with Scrivener, styles are for excep-
tional cases in which we definitely want the text to look a certain way!”

So, I am allowed no control at all on how my screen manuscript looks - It’s all decided by Scrivener and I’m stuck with it until I compile it?

Guess what - I HATE the default formatting! :frowning:

so do I have to go and find myself a better text editor? Any suggestions?

That says exactly what I told you earlier.

You have total and complete control.

When compiling, styled text is exempted of the compile format’s section layout’s formatting.
Thus respecting styled text as being intended to look different than the rest of your body text.
To tweak styled text, do as per my previous screenshot, in the Styles tab of your compile format.
Or, tweak it in the editor, and redefine your style from a selection of that tweaked paragraph.

Default formatting is otherwise adjusted in

I suppose that if you don’t have the patience to learn how to use this one, it can be a solution.
But, better ? – That would be highly debatable.

If I’m following your directions incorrectly then please give me a step by step guide. I added the style in the Compile STYLEs section,

I assigned it to the the layout
text compile

This is how it looks on screen:

This is how it looks in the preview:

This is how it looks in the output file:
text out

Don’t assign your style to a layout. (Layout is kind of left unused anyways as far as formatting goes, as per you styling everything.)
Tweak your style at the bottom of the Styles panel.

Make sure you tweak the right one, it was pointless to add them all; you only need a style to be in the list if you want to further tweak it.
If it already looks (on screen) the way you want it to, leave it out.

I only added the one (highlighted), the rest are there by default.

sorry, leave what out?

Nevermind then.

Just tweak your A-standard style to look the way you want it to, at the bottom of the Styles panel.
That should be all there is to it.

BUT:
If that style already looks the way you want it to (on screen), then just remove it from the styles list in the top part of the Styles panel.

In other words, the Styles panel allows you to “hack” your style(s). If it is not needed, simply leave them (or it) out of the list.

OK!
Sorry about the rigmarole, but at least we got there in the end. Thanks for baring with me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And they lived happily ever after.
. . . . . . . . . . .

1 Like

I would not recommend Scrivener 3, without including the adjective ‘quirky’.