Compiler formating problem after upgrading from 2.4.1 to 2.5

I’m using an Intel powered Macbook running Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Thought I’d add a copy of my post here, since I’m pretty sure it must be a bug, unless the way you set up compiler options has changed.

I updated scrivener 2.4.1 to v2.5 and immediately my book no longer formatted correctly: it no longer compiled with centre formatting, everything was aligned left even though I’m using my saved settings for the book (screen shot of format settings attached).

Also, my title page has some lines left aligned even though all the lines should be centred and are left “as is” by the compiler. It seems my compiler selections are just ignored.

I finally had to go back to version 2.4.1 and the book compiled correctly again.

There are no known bugs in this regard, although there were fixes in the compiler in 2.5, so I’m wondering if it’s just that your settings need updating. It doesn’t look as though you included any screenshots after all - would it be possible to zip up your project and send it to us at mac.support AT literatureandlatte.com, along with a description of which parts are coming out wrong so that we can see for ourselves?
Thanks,
Keith

I suspect the cause is this:

It sounds like the OP has centred all or most of the text, making that the most commonly used alignment and therefore the text-align attribute that is being removed in accordance with the KDP formatting guidelines.

Yes, I centred all of the text because its a book of poetry. Is that not permitted for Kindle books? So the compiler is doing the correct thing by left aligning it?

I attached a couple of screen shots of the settings, as you can see there was the option to preserve alignment of centred text, which I selected.

I looked at another poetry book and they used left align but with a left margin, so I could follow that format.

Ah, okay, I understand now. Yes, basically, according to Amazon guidelines, you should not force text alignment on the user - the user should be able to choose their own preferred alignment for viewing text. Thus in 2.5, because new Amazon guidelines and rules were causing Scriv-generated files to be rejected, the most commonly-used text alignment doesn’t get written out for Kindle format, leaving the user to choose. So if most of the text is centred,that formatting won’t be included. This is down to complying with Amazon guidelines, I’m afraid.

Hmm, so I’ll gave to try left aligned with a margin I suppose. It would be a fair compromise I suppose. Having everything left aligned would look pretty awful.

It’s odd because the text centred version created with Scrivener 2.4.1 uploads fine and displays correctly on the kindle ipad app and kindle previewer.

I suppose I’ll make two versions and see what’s accepted when I upload the mobi as a draft.

This e-book publishing is not as easy as I thought.

OK, well thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

Yes, this is because it was changed in 2.5. Basically, between 2.4.1 and 2.5, Amazon started writing to people and telling them that their epubs were now being rejected because they forced the alignment for most of the text, and Amazon’s rules are that the user should choose this. So, because Scrivener 2.4.1 set the alignment of the text in the .epub file for all paragraphs, any file created in Scrivener would thenceforth be rejected by Amazon because of their new rules.

Thus, in 2.5, we had to change it so that no alignment was encoded in the HTML for the most common text formatting. That is, Scrivener checks the text and looks for what it thinks is the most commonly-used paragraph formatting, and it doesn’t encode alignment for that, only encoding alignment for text formatting that is the exception rather than the rule. In your case, because most of your text is centred, that is the text that ends up with no alignment being encoded.

Had you tried uploading the book to Amazon at all? I’m guessing that Amazon will reject the 2.4.1-generated version because of their rules (unless they actually check it’s poetry and make an exception, I suppose).

Not yet. Was trying to decide about enabling DRM or not. I’d only uploaded to my kindle library by email to test the layout, so yes perhaps it will be rejected.

I have everything centred: title, jpg illustration and poem, except the TOC which I changed from the default centred to left align, so I’m doing everything backwards.

Just getting to grips with Scrivener, so going by a couple of kindle books I bought on how to set the compiler for kindle, possibly out of date now. They add a cover image to Scrivener front matter whereas from what I’ve seen on the KDR page Amazon want you to upload that separately.

Anyway, I managed to get someone at Amazon to chat with before about a problem with my Kindle library and they said I could get help with publishing too, so I’ll try and get someone there to advise me on this, save some time, and I’ll certainly post what happens.

Hopefully other formats turn out to be easier than Amazon kindle.

OK, finally I decided to replace the centre formatting for the text with left align, adding a little bit of left margin.

Freaked me out at first but no point in fighting the system when there’s no good reason. In the end it was very little effort and looks fine. And the titles and illustrations stay centred and that seems to work pretty well.

And means I can safely upgrade to 2.5.

Thanks for all your help :slight_smile:

Those are probably instructions for people uploading Word files. If you submit a complete Mobi file it should just use the cover image you specified. Everything needed to display the book is self-contained in the Mobi file.

I have mixed feelings about their guidelines, too. On the one hand it has made reading so much nicer. Back a few years ago every other book was a mess, and things have really cleaned up in their catalogue for the new stuff—but their rules do wilfully ignore that some material uses formatting for creative purposes.

Cool. I’ll try it.

Only thing I can think of is there are still a lot of people using very small screens and they want to make it as readable as possible for them. I can;t do it, but I do know someone who prefers to read books on his iphone. Otherwise, no, I don’t see the problem in letting the author decide.

One word: PowerPoint.

Two more words: MySpace, Geocities.