Compiler not working as expected - creates only 1 chapter even when there are multiple

I’ve a very basic layout of novel on my scrivener. I only have pages under my Manuscript folder. See here: imgur.com/KDPUgRl

But every time I compile using these options (imgur.com/1xIJiWh

What am I doing wrong? I’m using the latest scrivener for windows.

Scrivener doesn’t know that each text file is a new chapter (most people use folders for chapters and text files for scenes inside chapter folders – see the image below, copied from the manual).

Not a Windows user, but on a Mac, the separator setting is able to tell Scrivener how to compile the project. Breaks are usually indicators of new sections/chapters.

In your settings, what separator do you have for adjoining text files? Singe return? Empty line?

If you change the separator to “page break”, does it work okay? You might also need to remove the manual “page break before” ticks from the compile window.

Alternatively, does it work if you remove the As-Is setting?

Don’t fight the software. It wants a Folder for each Chapter. Add a Folder above each of your Text documents:
add folders.JPG
Then move each Text document to the right under its Folder:
move text files right.JPG

But files can be chapters instead of folders…

literatureandlatte.com/foru … 53#p173453

Yeah, but that’s still fighting the software with all those additional Compile settings. IMO

I prefer the folder-as-a-chapter structure, but in this case, changing the separator should only take a few seconds, whereas adding folders will take a few minutes. Good to have options. I’d definitely opt for folder-based chapters in a new manuscript.

Starting from a compile preset that’s designed for novels (look for compile presets with “manuscript” or “paperback” or “novel” in their names) will interpret a series of files as chapters without using chapter folders. There’s no need to nest them in folders if you’re not splitting them into scenes within each chapter.

Osmosis must have started from some other preset, or modified the separators settings previously without realizing what it would do. If you haven’t invested a lot of time in the compile settings customizations, I’d start by picking a preset from the “Format As:” drop-down list that’s designed for the kind of output you want (manuscript for submitting to editors/agents, paperback for self-publishing). That should fix whatever settings are combining all of your chapters into one. From there, you can tweak your compile settings to your liking.

I don’t think that’s an available option in the Windows version, at least not under the Format tab in the toolbar.

Also, if you start with the Fiction preset in the templates, it very clearly wants Folders:
newnovel.JPG

And yet, the default settings for the “Paperback Novel” preset adds automatic chapter numbering + document titles to Level 1 documents…

There is only one tweak that you have to make in the Separators tab of the compile dialogue to accommodate a preference for level 1 text files as chapters.
FilesAsChapters-Separators.JPG

Scrivener is designed to allow writers to construct their projects however they wish, with some limitations to your binder structure when it comes to compiling (some limitations have been removed in the upcoming v3 release). Chapter folders with scene documents are the default assumption for new users, but there’s no reason to discourage people from this alternate binder structure, which has been supported in all versions of Scrivener that I can recall using.

‘Paperback Novel’ is not an available option in the Windows version, There’s ‘Novel’ and ‘Novel (with Parts)’ and ‘Short Story’ and they all have the Folder structure as the default.

Tom, rdale is talking about default compile presets, and you are referring to the default project templates. Paperback novel is indeed a compile preset in Windows 1.9.

Ah, my bad.

Best Emily Litella voice: Never mind.