Compiling a Sript Adding Dialogue Italics

Hi All,

I’m hoping someone can help me with this, as I’ve tried several formats, and looked online for answers.

I’m compiling a finished script (US stage play format).

But I’ve noticed that when outputting to Word ( doc, docx, or .rtf formats) I wind up with random lines of dialogue converted to italics. If I compile it as a Pdf it doesn’t do that. I could just output it as a Pdf and be done with it, but I need to clean up some of the paging ( to avoid character names and lines of dialogue occasionally being split between pages) before I “lock” it as a Pdf.

It’s not every line of dialogue, and is not consistent in each individual document ( I have changed lines and unchanged lines on the same page).

I feel as if this has only recently started happening. Earlier drafts didn’t have this problem.

Any help or suggestions in fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn

Could it be that these lines are underlined and you have “Convert underlines to italics” ticked in the “Transformations” pane of Compile? Although that would affect PDF and printing, too. What happens if you export to RTFD format and open that in TextEdit - does that have the same issue, or is it limited to the other formats in Word?

Thanks,
Keith

Keith,

Nothing about italics ticked in the transformations panel.

Rtfd version seem to be fine ( not extra italics), but I’d rather have something more stable to work with than text edit. Is there a way to open this and/or save it in Word? I tried opening it from within Word, but it only offered me doc, docx, and rtf as "readable documents.

Thanks.

-Glenn

No, Word won’t open RTFD files. Could you please send me the .scriv project (zipped up)? Send it to mac DOT support AT literatureandlatte DOT com marked for my attention. I have an idea what might be causing it (the keep with next codes in the RTF) so want to test this theory and also test it against a build I put together recently that fixes a bug related to that.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

I tried sending as a compressed zip, but even that was too large (81 mb). Do you have any other ideas for transferring.

Thanks,
Glenn

Hi Glenn,

It sounds as though you have quite a bit of research in the project. Here’s what to do:

  1. Make a copy of the project (select the .scriv project in the Finder and do a Copy and Paste).

  2. Open the copy of the project.

  3. Delete all the research files from the copy of the project (everything that isn’t being compiled). Obviously, make absolutely sure you only do this to the copy of the project, as you don’t want to affect the original!

  4. Zip up and send me the copy, which should now be much smaller.

  5. Once you’ve sent the compressed copy, you can delete the copy from your system.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

If your script really is just a script (text only) then you can right-click (or control-click) on the *.rtfd file and choose “Show Package Contents” from the popup menu. This will give you a folder that contains all the images etc along with a TXT.rtf file. Drag that file out onto your desktop or into another folder and you will have something that MS-Word can open.

  • asotir

Asotir,

Thanks. That worked “sort of” (see below). but seems like kind of an extreme workaround.

That solved the italics problem. However, I now have some lines of dialogue split from the character designations, and it removed the page numbers.

The Pdf versions and the Word versions (with italics problems) seemed to keep the character names and dialogue together. And I’ve got to have page numbers.

Thanks.

Hopefully, Keith will figure out if I’m using an outdated version (of Scrivener)/an unsupported version of Word, or have just missed ticking a particular box, etc.

Cheers.

-Glenn

Well, now you have the .rtf version, you can import that into a scriv project (maybe a new one on script template to avoid any possible contamination from the original that was giving you the italics weirdness) and then reapply the script paragraph styles to everything. An annoying hour’s work, to be sure, but it should get you where you want to be with a clean good compile.

  • asotir

Thanks. It looks like Keith was able to identify and fix the bug for an upcoming release.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.