Compiling by Label

Is it possible to have sections with particular labels compile differently than the level formatting?

I wanted to do example breakouts, and I can’t guarantee that they’ll always be at the same depth…

I’m guessing that I may have to just do these as overrides, but I wanted to check and see if I there is a way could use labels to set global formatting by type.

AFAIK that’s not possible at this time by using labels, but you can use the fact that folders and documents may use different compile settings. I run into a similar problem once when trying to use different fonts for two different narrators, but had to resort to use folders for one of them and documents for the other, and it worked regardless of the level.

If you want to specify more than two compile settings I think it becomes trickier.

Hope this helps!

Hey!

Trying to avoid double posting - I was going to ask a similar question.

I am about to begin the second draft of my novel, but I don’t want to just change the text and then the label. I want to create a second text file labeled “second draft” for each text file while keeping the file labeled “first draft” so I can do side by side comparisons. But when I compile, I want them compiled the option to select ‘compile only second drafts’ or something like that so that I don’t have to include both drafts each time I compile. Can this be done without creating a whole new master folder, at which point I might as well create a new project? BTW, I run Scrivener on both Mac and Windows, so I would like to know if this functionality is available on both versions - if this feature is more easily seen in Mac than Windows, I apologize. I went to do this on my current computer, a PC, and couldn’t find it.

Thanks!

Sparrowhawk

This is something I’ve just discovered, thanks to another posting somewhere around here… On the Mac version, you can include or exclude documents that have a particular property, or are in a collection. Go to File->Compile->Contents, and look at the Filter checkbox near the bottom; the drop-downs have a number of ways you can use Label, Status, presence in a collection, or even the current selection as a filter for what you want to compile, or what you want to exclude from your compile.

Not knowing the Windows version, I’m not sure whether “Snapshots” have been implemented, but it seems to me, snapshots is your friend.

If you take a snapshot of a file, it resides in the inspector. You can then continue working, but when you want to compare your current version with the previous version in the snapshot, you can drag the snapshot into the header-bar of a split in the editor which means you can view them side by side (or top and bottom if you prefer). Furthermore, Scrivener can highlight what is different between the two versions.

That’s the way I’d solve your problem.

Mr X

Yes, snapshots are implemented on Windows. The Inspector pane Snapshot button to click on is the one that looks like an antique camera. You can take snapshots here, name them and review old ones, and even roll a revision back into the editor, replacing the current text (optionally snapshotting before you do, of course!). You can also take a snapshot whenever you want with Ctrl-5, or find further options in the Documents/Snapshots menu.

Thank you! Snapshots is exactly what I am looking for. But thank you also for your post too, @robertdguthrie. That feature is also a feasible option, but it’s only available in the Mac compile settings, and since I use dropbox to sync back and forth, I needed something that worked for both.

Note that compile settings are not shared between windows and mac versions of Scrivener. So unless you are willing to duplicate your compile settings on both machines, you’ll be better off designating one machine for all of your compiling needs. Might as well use the Mac compile settings, since they’re more advanced for now.

Just adding my request for the devs to please enhance the Windows version to filter compile by Label & Status.

I have a bunch of draft pages & notes (identified by Label & Status) in my folders which I want to keep close to the prose, but not include in the compiled output.

Thanks.