Compiling & Comments

Hi,

I have a question regarding compiling and comments. I have included comments to be in the compile of my document (I’m compiling it as a PDF doc at the moment). But the comments are appearing embedded in the actual document rather than as comments on the side. Is it possible to have the comments included in the compile but as comments not embedded in the main body of the text?

Another question when I compile is, why does it put # where I’ve put an *? It leaves the * in but also puts a #!

Also, last question! and I know this question may have been asked in previous topics but just wanted to ask here as I’m struggling to get it right…I have my manuscript then each folder is a chapter (I know Scrivener says you don’t need to do each folder as a chapter but it has made it easier for me to sort). But now when I compile it has ‘chapter 1’ twice and so on…what should I rename the folders so this doesn’t happen? Or is there a button I can tick/untick when compiling to change this?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I’m not entirely sure about the comments. Are they Inspector comments or inline comments in Scrivener? You may have compile for rtf or .doc (if you have the enhanced java export filters installed), and then open in a word processor that supports margin comments; then you’d print to PDF from there. Maybe someone else who has experience with that can be of more help.

There are a whole range of reasons that Scrivener might add # in front of every *. Is there anything that might do this in the Replacements compile pane? This one’s got me baffled if it’s not something easy like that.

The last one’s actually easy. I’m assuming your chapter folders are titled “Chapter 1” and so-forth? Just go to the Formatting tab in the compile window and un-check “Title” from the folder row. It’s already inserting an auto-numbered “CHAPTER ONE” or some-such by default, so you didn’t need to name your chapters anything in particular. This is why you can forgo the folders if your chapters are made up of single documents (and not groups of scene documents); each level one document would then automatically put TITLE and then CHAPTER ONE at the beginning of each document, and you could similarly exclude the title as described above if all you wanted was chapter numbers.

Further on the comments bit, you could also try using RTF or DOC/X instead of going straight to PDF. That would require word processor to do the final layout, but it will open up an option that lets you convert comments & annotations to footnotes or endnotes, in the Footnotes/Comments compile option pane. You’ll note there is also a “Margin Note” choice available there, but this is for conveying notes as RTF comments, which will be presented as margin notes in most word processors—I don’t think you can actually print those however. They are designed to be invisible to the final output. Depending on your word processor, there may be a way.

Margin comments in Word (and Word-readable formats) are printable. I do it all the time. There may be a toggle somewhere; I forget whether the default setting is on or off.

Generally speaking, Word is able to print anything that is visible in the editor window. You know, WYSIWYG and all that.

Katherine

Thanks for your replies :slight_smile:

I’ve sorted everything except the comments thing, but that’s not too much of a big deal.

When compiling, what section is the one to look at to make sure the format/layout of my text is correct? As when I compile, either to a PDF or Word doc, it seems to have indented paragraphs twice, and is putting * (a sign that the scene has changed) left aligned rather than centred. It’s also hyphenating when I’ve unticked this.

Help is much appreciated :slight_smile:

Ah, I bet I know what is happening with the #* problem, given your latest description. See, Scrivener can do a lot of stuff for you, so you don’t have to be typing in scene breaks by hand and so on. In the Separators pane, by default it is set up to insert a “#” character in between scenes. If you’ve already put an asterisk at the scene cuts, then you’ll end up with two symbols. For now you probably just want to turn off that separator in the compile settings, but for the future you can remember that Scrivener can do all of this for you.

The Formatting pane is where most formatting is set up. It sounds to me as though you might want to click on the “Options” button along the top, and check off “Preserve alignment”, maybe with “Centered text only” turned on as well. That should keep your centred asterisks where you left them in the editor.

As for the doubled indents, it sounds like each paragraph may have a tab character typed in, like on a typewriter? You can check by turning on Format/Options/Show Invisibles in the main text editor. If each paragraph has a right-arrow in front of it then it has tabs. Generally you never want those in a word processor, but if they are already there you might as well work around it. You’ll need to use the Formatting pane to remove the first-line indent and adjust the first tab stop to where you want the indent to appear. Since there is no tab character in the Formatting preview text, you won’t see that change directly, but the first indent should show up where you put the tab stop, when you compile.

You can read about the Formatting compile option pane in §24.11 of the user manual, and the difference between tab stops and indents is explained, along with how to use the ruler, in §15.4.

Thanks AmberV :slight_smile: That’s really helpful! I’ll try all that and look at the section you suggested.

Thanks for all your help!