Compiling footnotes and request for more guideance on appearance editor

I have spent the last hour trying to figure out how to get footnotes when I compile. And I have searched these forums and don’t see any answer.

I think the answer is in the “appearance editor” with its YAML language. It is not intuitive to me what I can do here or how to do it. A tutorial or some guideance would be great.

I agree that it’s not well documented in the iOS tutorial. I hope that the following includes the information you want…

How to find the ios Compile Appearances documentation:

1. Start a compile.
  2. Tap on the Appearance item in the compile dialog.
  3. Tap the Edit button at the top right of the dialog.
  4. Select a format–any format. :smiley:
  5. Tap the Duplicate button at the lower right but one of the dialog.
  6. Select any of the three options as to where to save it (doesn’t matter; you’re just getting to Appearance Help.)
  7. Tap the question-mark-in-a-circle on the upper right.

Now you see the complete help file for Appearances. You can tap the Copy All button in the top right and save the text wherever you please. ALL the possible options are right there in the text of that help file… all of them. There are some footnote formatting overrides mentioned in there.

So I just added a footnote to a small test project, and compiled using all the built-in appearances, to each possible file format. Here’s what happenedt:

1. Footnotes are compiled and present in output for all output types (PDF, Word, RTF, and plain text.)
  2. Footnotes are compiled and present in output for all the built-in appearances
  3. Footnotes are always compiled as endnotes, there being no other option available in iOS Appearances.

So if you’re looking for footnotes, just add footnotes, either inline or popup. They’ll be there, at the bottom of your entire compiled output. They will be endnotes, not footnotes at the bottom of each page.

I hope this helps! – and I’m sorry if it’s not the answer you wanted.