Compiling for reimport

Here’s my situation: I recently bought Scrivener for Windows and installed it on my desktop, and really enjoy using it. It’s great for organizing my work! However, I prefer to do my writing on my Kindle (in a comfortable chair or wherever I want, instead of chained to the desk), and have used a Word emulator to do that in the past.

Since there’s no Scrivener for Android, I have figured out something of a workaround. I can compile a draft, which is saved to my Dropbox. I can then open that draft with the Word emulator on my Kindle and work on it in comfort, wherever I happen to be going. When I deem it necessary to pop it back into Scrivener, I can import it as a new project. Not ideal, but good enough.

Here’s where I get mucked up.

Each “document” (for me they are scenes, not chapters) gets labeled CHAPTER [n] in the export, with its actual title as a subtitle.

The imported document breaks as it is supposed to on Import and Split, but labels everything CHAPTER [n] without the titles. So where I once had meaningful titles in the binder, I just have CHAPTER 1 - CHAPTER [n].

The synopsis and metadata can be exported, but they then become part of the text and are imported as text instead of filling the fields.

SO . . . Is there any way to format the compile so I can import it later with at least the document titles, preferably the synopsis and metadata as well, in their proper locations?

There’s no way to import the synopsis and meta-data directly, the way you’re working; only importing from OPML or MindMap files offers anything like that (and not for meta-data), neither of which is what you’re looking at. You can compile without the Chapter prefixes, using just your document titles, so that the Import & Split will be more effective, but you’ll still be left copying your meta-data to the appropriate locations after import.

Have you considered just using the File > Export command for this to export the files individually? They’ll use the document titles as the file names, so will be easy to identify, and you can choose to also export meta-data, notes, and synopses if you wish, all as individual files. Then instead of doing an import and split into a new project, you could just sort the folder of exported documents by modified date and copy your changes back into the project per document, including any altered meta-data. By sorting you can easily see which were updated since you last edited the project, and this way you keep just one copy of the project in Scrivener rather than redoing it every time you come back from working on the Kindle. That seems to me more useful, particularly if the point of using Scrivener is for the organization–if you’re importing and splitting, you’re always going to be bringing things in as a flat list and needing to rebuild any collections or internal links or references you had from the previous project. By keeping just one project that you update after working away from the computer, you can really dig into the organisation capabilities without worrying about redoing them each time you return.

I’ll play with the export function and give it a try, thanks!