Compiling Formatting

Hello everyone,

I have been using Scrivner for a little over a year now. I consider myself functionally illiterate as far as techy things go. I can usually get to where I want but not always efficiently.

I am trying to compile my second novel into paperback format. In Scrivener, the text is all Palatino Linotype 12. But when it compiles it switches to Palatino 10. Why? How can I fix it without going through and manually changing it?

It also puts the formatting to “fully justified” instead of “Align left”

If you haven’t already done so, the section on compiling in the Interactive Tutorial, found in the Help menu, would be a good start for compile basics like this. What you’re looking at is a fundamental capability of the software: that what you write with in the text editor may not have anything to do with how it looks when you compile. After all if you wanted to compile as 12pt Courier double-spaced manuscript all you would have to do is select that Format from the left sidebar to have your text made uniform and up to spec for it, rather than having to go back and change every paragraph you wrote to look that way, first.

The tutorial goes over this process in a step-by-step fashion, so you can see how you can first get a “verbatim” result, and then how that can be changed to clean up the formatting. Through this process, you should be able to figure out how to modify the Paperback format to work the way you want.

That you for the reply I do appreciate it. My frustration is that I am not seeing/understanding how to change the size of the font or the alignment. I have changed the font to Palatino Linotype but I do not see anything where I can change the size or the alignment.

I have read the instruction several times and I just am not understanding where what I want to do is. I apologize if this is a basic thing and I am just being the dunce

So when you first load up compile, there is a preview column in the middle where you can see the different components of the document. One or more of those will feature body text. If you hover over any of those you’ll see a pencil icon appear that you can click to edit—you can also just double-click on any tile to edit it.

Once you’ve done that you’ll be taken to the Section Layout area of the format designer, which is where you can modify the text formatting, headings, etc. They are all in a list, but only the bold face ones are being used by your project.

Thank you so much for taking the time to go through this with me! I greatly appreciate it. I knew I was missing something and the pencil icon was there but faded out on my screen so I didn’t notice it.

1 Like