Compiling Research Notes

Is there a way to compile your research notes? I want to print out a copy of all my notes (outlines, character sketches, etc.) but I haven’t figured out a way. I’m under the impression you can only compile things under the Manuscript folder.

Thanks!

I think Compile does not depend on location,
But on the file types involved.
The items should be in a format that word processors can handle.
Such as RTF, etc. See section 25.4 of the Scrivener manual.
But…in case I’m wrong (always possible), here’s a simple workaround.

Put all your notes into a Folder named Notes.
Slide that folder up into the Draft folder.
Compile and print Notes,
Then slide Notes back into the Research folder.

I’m also confused about the Compile feature; I’ve tried moving my notes into the manuscript section, but it still seems to only include the title page in the resulting RTF file.

Obviously, I’m doing something wrong, but I can’t figure out what… :frowning:

In the Mac version, and I imagine in the Windows, only documents in the Draft folder can compile. By extension this means only text documents can compile (since only text documents can be placed in the Draft folder). If your research notes are text documents, you can temporarily pull them up to the Draft folder to compile. Otherwise, the best way to get them out is to just export or print them.

In Windows, however, this doesn’t seem to work at the moment–the 1.55 beta bug list includes: “Note: Export is currently limited to TXT, RTF, PDF, and ODT (Open Office) and PS. Once RTF we have plug-in modules ready to go for: HTML, DOC, DOCX, XML, EPS, WMF, EMF, SVG, SWF, JPEG, TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG, TGA, PCX, PCL.”

I’ll also add that I wasn’t actually able to export .pdf files either, although I was able to export a text document as a .pdf.

So in the meanwhile, my workaround would be to just open the .scriv folder, navigate to Files/Docs and then browse through to copy out (copy, not cut!) the ones you want. Since they’ll be named according to Scrivener’s numerical ID system, they won’t be immediately obvious, but if you have some kind of quick visual preview (Mac’s Snow Leopard has a Quick Look feature; I don’t know what newer Windows systems might have) that can help. And you can open the file in their default program to take a peek otherwise.

There may be a better temporary solution; like I said, I haven’t really done this in Windows except just now to test it out, so I may be missing something more obvious.

This sounds like a different issue. Are you sure in the compile pane that you’ve checked “include” for all the other documents in the Draft folder that you want to compile? Hit the “…” button if you don’t see all the compile options.

Aha, I see. I can export to TXT format, just not RTF. (For some reason, the RTF only exports the title page, regardless of which other documents it’s meant to include.) So I assume it’s a bug at the moment…