Compiling Scrivener to a specific Word Template

I’ve started using Scrivener to write a book for a publisher. The publisher has provided a Word Template that they want applied to the submitted manuscript. I get the impression that this is possible with Scrivener, but I am not sure how to do so. Is there a process I need to take the Word Template through to make it into a Scrivener Template?

Hopefully it does mean manually applying the Word Template to all of the parts of the text after the compile to Word is completed.

At this point my manuscript us using the Chicago Style Essay Template.

Thanks,

-Jim

I think you’ll need to compile from Scrivener then paste the content into a file created from the Word template. You may still have quite a bit of work to do from that point, depending on what the template contains. If the publisher requires use of specific styles, you’ll have to apply those to the text after compilation since Scrivener doesn’t have named styles (character or paragraph). That sounds like a lot of work. Sorry to bring bad news…

Hmm. . . bad news indeed. I’ll need to evaluate what exactly they are requiring from the template.

Well, maybe I’m being too pessimistic and someone else will think of a better way to do this.

In any case, it’s worth bearing in mind that not fiddling around with a template while you write should save you a lot of time, some of which can later be ploughed back into the mechanical task of marking up headings, blockquotes etc. after compilation, in Word.

What nicka said. Scrivener is a vastly superior writing environment. Switching back to Word is annoying, but not nearly as bad as having to write the whole thing in Word.

When I’ve had to deal with this sort of thing, here’s how I did it:

• Happily do all the writing in Scrivener, using my preferred fonts, tabs, and other settings. Tag elements like headings and figure captions with easily searchable text so that I can find them again after the export.
  • When compiling for Word, use the Compile options to produce a Word document with the font, tabs, and other settings required by the template. If you’re using ScrivMac 2.0, this may be all you need to do, as its compile options are pretty comprehensive. This will not, however, apply named styles, which the template may use to build the Table of Contents and similar front matter.
  • Apply the publisher’s template to the resulting Word document. That will import all of the named styles the publisher wants you to use, but you may have to manually format headings and such. The fastest way to do this is to format the whole manuscript as the body text style, then use those nifty searchable text tags to find and format the special elements.
  • References, equations, and other complex elements will probably need special handling. I’d just leave them as straight text – or even just put in a placeholder – until the final pass before submission.

Hope this helps,

Katherine

One problem with this approach for our book is that it’s a technical (software development) book, and it will have a lot if inline code and identifiers within the text that will be formatted as code. such as

“Use the foo class to do this.”

where “foo” would be using a ‘Code’ style (ie monospace, etc).

This will be a royal pain to go thru and reapply later, when moving to Word :frowning: