Compiling, submission support (synopsis, author bio)

Just point me at the answer if it already exists - because if it does, it’s hidden in too many search hits to be found easily (manual, forum, google already tried).

General thrust of the enquiry: what support/recommendations are there for writing a submission synopsis, author bio, etc. probably to be compiled with the MS but covering it (or separately compiled?).

Specifically:

• Is there a special place/way of handling a synopsis in the binder?
    • Ditto for author CV
  • Is there any need for a special template for either of these?
  • Extra kudos for any advice on whether the synopsis should be in story chronological order or narrative order (e.g. if some parts are told in retrospect)

For author cv put in front or back matter folder and format as is checking include front and back matter in compile

1 Like

If you want, you can draft your synopsis scene-by-scene using Scrivener’s Corkboard. That’s (part of) what the Corkboard is for. You can then use one of the Outline Compile formats to assemble it.

Alternatively, you can create it as a separate document or documents in the Binder.

Which is “better” is really up to you. Scrivener doesn’t care.

There’s lots of information on the web about what should actually go into the Synopsis. If you have a specific destination in mind, follow that destination’s guidelines. In general, though, I would suggest following the narrative arc, since determining whether that arc makes sense is part of the purpose.

1 Like

Thanks. I put more in the corkboard synopses and in different style to what I would put in a separate synopsis for the work as a whole.

I guess add it to Front Matter like the cv per @GoalieDad.

I think what you’re saying here is that you’ve already “used” the corkboard synopses for your main manuscript, so your can’t use it for your overall synopsis.

Wanted to point out that this doesn’t mean you can’t create a new folder purposed to contain a separate synopsis for the work as a whole, and then develop it using the Corkboard (or the Outliner) as suggested by @kewms . This would appear to be redundant to the manuscript in your binder, but it’s use could be justified as a different tool with a different purpose from your manuscript. You may be structuring the synopsis differently, and you’ve already mentioned the difference in style.

I’m not suggesting you do this, but wanted to make you aware of the possibility.

Best,
Jim

1 Like

got interested, and for a moment tried @kewms 's thought about compiling the per-item synopses via the Outline compile format.

Doing that to Rtf lets you import the result back in for the text of your Front or Back Matter. I put a title item above it, and the result would at least be pretty useful, rather than copy-pasting…

1 Like

This may give you an idea or two. It shows a completely different Compiled export from the same content as you’d use to publish.

a synopsis/epigraph report

Wow! Who is B R Treat? That’s an impressive piece of work… will take some time to digest - I think it will drive a lot of side reading… thx!

Thank you all for the choices presented. Part of me thinks that the corkboard synopses could be rewritten for the purpose of compile the grand synopsis.

I may adjust my workflow so that the corkboard is used in both ways:

1. When outlining the plot, put whatever works into the corkboard synopses
  2. When each document is stable (1st, 2nd… drafts) bring it into alignment with the detail actually written

Then I might have the best of both worlds - I generally dislike alienating the outline from the text since reconciliation is harder that way.

Again, many thanks.

1 Like